Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Compared to conventional type bolts, torque to yield bolts 
offer the engine manufacturer a number of advantages including; greater flexibility of 
design, reductions in component costs, more accurate assembly and reliability of seal. 
Engines designed utilising torque to yield (TTY) head bolts require fewer head bolts to 
achieve the desired clamping loads than those using conventional bolts. With fewer 
bolts the engine manufacturer has more flexibility in cylinder head and block design as 
well as reducing the cost of the engine."

• Thanks 2

Batteries,

Just dropped a new battery in teh middys daily. Thought id whack the charger on, because fuck knows how long its been on the shelf at repco. Been on a half hour, and still not got the full charged light on?

Relevant if it's a newer car (I struck this issue for the first time on a 2010 model): Sometimes you may need to tell the car via OBD2 device that it's a new battery, so it doesn't try and pump a squillion ergs into the new battery...

Check the label on the battery first before handing over shekels/francs/cowrie shells 

There should be a sticker on it with 4 digits, iirc first two = week of the calendar it was made; second two = year. 

but I’m guessing most of us already knew this 

/ling 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goat said:

Any of you Mitsi foamers know anything about 4g41 donks? Early 70s OHV engine in early colts.

Specifically, if the bellhousing pattern is the same as a 4g32.

@fuel @DoBro Jesus

I hadn't heard of one before. I would gamble on the bellhousing being the same, Mitsi seems to just have the wide and narrow patterns on the early stuff

• Like 2

On 21/04/2024 at 13:47, Alfashark said:

Relevant if it's a newer car (I struck this issue for the first time on a 2010 model): Sometimes you may need to tell the car via OBD2 device that it's a new battery, so it doesn't try and pump a squillion ergs into the new battery...

Always made me giggle, our old 2005/6 E61 wagon was an IBS (Intelligent Bowel Syndrome) car and needed battery coding, plus sensors etc. 

My Camry Hybrid and Prius both do not require that. Go figure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doug Hill said:

Always made me giggle, our old 2005/6 E61 wagon was an IBS (Intelligent Bowel Syndrome) car and needed battery coding, plus sensors etc. 

My Camry Hybrid and Prius both do not require that. Go figure.

I had to disconnect the ibs sensor in my 650i or it would drain the battery for fun...

"Intelligent" 

• Haha 1

Why do people blur their license plates in photos when selling cars? Is it still necessary to do this, or was it only really a thing in the days of being able to find out the owners info through the post office?

14 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

Why do people blur their license plates in photos when selling cars? Is it still necessary to do this, or was it only really a thing in the days of being able to find out the owners info through the post office?

Can't find out owner nowadays unless you are popo etc.

• Like 1