Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

If the oiling system allowed it, and if I was chasing driveline perfection I would be setting the engine to as flat as possible and remaking the manifold/tunnel etc to suit. 

Just depends how much work you want to do I guess.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, westy said:

Rotaries sit higher because the eccentric shaft is close to centre of the drum. Crankshaft’s sit in the bottom of the engine. 

Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina……….. back in my day 

so as I left it today, the engine slope is 5 degrees, the first shaft matches this , the second uj and pinion angle also match.

im sure it works as most lifted 4x4s have a steep driveshaft angle aswell.

it would be nice to level out the engine, however to do that, I’d need to lift the hanger bearing and completely remove the tunnel right to the back of the cab, and lift the hanger crossmember. 
bit of a major but all doable.

my first ute I just slapped it in and she was sweet with no vibration at all

You need at least 0.5° operating angle on a UJ. Lesser the front shaft angle difference the better but not less than 0.5°. Currently you are at 0°. And max 3-3.5° operating angle on front UJ out of box.

Now if you raise the hanger bearing so front UJ operating angle is 0.5-1° (front shaft initial angle of ~4° down) it will lessen the centre and rear UJ angles and still be within the max 3° front UJ angle.

Centre and rear UJ's still have pretty bad angles but not much can be done about that without a fair bit of rework. If you set the pinion to ~6° down (flange pointing up) it will compensate for a degree or so of bushing flex under acceleration and get you close enough to where it should be happy.

Link design/geometry will play a big part in driveline performance too, but thats confusion for another day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this fuel cutoff relay wired into the wee Fiat, but does not appear to be functioning correctly.

https://themetricnut.co.nz/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=204&product_id=1724

321906059c-genuine-228x228.jpg.539fc5856a0b4f9c877a34b37c11eff5.jpg

It has the 4x normal terminals plus an additional wee one which theoretically is the go signal input. If the engine isnt running it should prime the carbs then cut off, but it runs continuously.

I have wired the signal terminal to the coil pack output, the coil looks like this and serves all 4 cylinders;

PXL_20240329_0453586252.jpg.58d8f1941a788ac4886f82a3292748a5.jpg

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

34 minutes ago, h4nd said:

You'd spotted the little wiring clue hiding in an icon on that page?

relayfuelpump321-906-059C-4-500x500.jpg.04253a578e50fb91d5d66e19ee0beca4.jpg

Hmm, I may have missed that and made some assumptions about it being essentially a relay with extra.

Maybe I will revisit my wiring.... thanks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, h4nd said:

You'd spotted the little wiring clue hiding in an icon on that page?

relayfuelpump321-906-059C-4-500x500.jpg.04253a578e50fb91d5d66e19ee0beca4.jpg

Well I wired it properly and it doesnt work, I am guessing i may have toasted by using it with the wrong connections?

On 21/03/2024 at 14:04, shizzl said:

Maybe to accommodate from the massive Gs on mega torque clutch dumps and wheel stands? Haha :badgrin: 

yeah right. 

not sure, but by my retarded thinking, if the engine is flattened off and the carbs leans forward 5-6 degrees then the rear rotor may be more likely to lean out and heat up. Which is what kills most 12a’s - dead rear rotors.

going to injection would fix that, until it dies eventually anyway (I am yet to have one die).

Not sure the longer runner would affect mixture much if at all? Always thought rear rotors died earlier was due to higher temps as coolant flows from front to rear, not hundy on that though

On 31/03/2024 at 09:30, NickJ said:

Have you tried a different coil wire? Might not be getting the signal off the ground wire and expecting the opposite polarity?

Conviently the Germans have created a standard for automobile wiring so you don,t have to guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

The 31b pin is indeed a swiched ground, which as correctly stated by the metricnut would only work with points trigger wire.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Conviently the Germans have created a standard for automobile wiring so you don,t have to guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

The 31b pin is indeed a swiched ground, which as correctly stated by the metricnut would only work with points trigger wire.

Mean! Always assumed those numbers had some meaning but never looked into the details, cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Does anyone know which PaP or Zebra in Auckland has the best selection of tyres? 

Probably Takanini PickaPart. Theres a rack of them, then a shitload just scattered in the ground. 

Zebras selection was ok, but I havn't been back there since they reopened recently. 

• Like 1