Roman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Electric fans. 

Anyone have good or bad experience with decent brand ones?  

Spal, Davies Craig, derale etc

I've got 2x 10" fans on my car but they don't have enough flow to cool it. They were $80 cheapy ones that were meant to be 850cfm or something 

I'm hoping some better ones plus a shroud might fix my problem but I'd like to get experience from others as the 'good' fans are quite expensive (around $250 each) 

I can fit 2x11" fans which spal make if I offset them the right way. I'm stuck with 2 smaller fans as there's not enough room for a big single fan 

The alternative is go to a mechanical flex fan and make a shroud to suit but I'd rather have electric 

37 minutes ago, sheepers said:

is thickness the issue or diameter? 

Both, current fans are about 75mm thick and cover full width of the core. I could fit 2x 11" fans if one was up and one down 

My big concern is it can't keep itself cool now, and I haven't put it under any stress yet. 

and I don't want to spend $500 to find out it's not that much better/still borderline because a $250 fan isn't better enough than a $80 one  

After thinking about it a bit more I might be better to live with the fan noise and use a engine driven fanny  

46 minutes ago, sheepers said:

^ I'm talking about difficulty in sticking things up your bum of course? 

It's already full of turnips so I can't fit anything else in there 

11 hours ago, cletus said:

Electric fans. 

Anyone have good or bad experience with decent brand ones?  

Spal, Davies Craig, derale etc

I've got 2x 10" fans on my car but they don't have enough flow to cool it. They were $80 cheapy ones that were meant to be 850cfm or something 

I'm hoping some better ones plus a shroud might fix my problem but I'd like to get experience from others as the 'good' fans are quite expensive (around $250 each) 

I can fit 2x11" fans which spal make if I offset them the right way. I'm stuck with 2 smaller fans as there's not enough room for a big single fan 

The alternative is go to a mechanical flex fan and make a shroud to suit but I'd rather have electric 

Pickapart is your friend in this situation.

I think rav4 have 2 pretty grunty 2 speed fans that are detachable from each other.

Otherwise I've walked around with a tape measure and just found something that works 

Even better is if you get the loom and temp probe for the radiator and theyll come on and off like a factory setup.

I've got galant electric fan and probe in my ms65 and it keeps it cool and comes on and off like a facotry setup. And doenst look out of place

My 2c 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Yeah I wanted to use some sort of OEM fan as they pump heaps of air and are cheap, the problem is space, all the common oe fans I've measured up are too big for how much room I have unfortunately 

Have you still got that fg falcon (might be worth a measure up) , they have a pretty decent fan and shroud setup which isn't all that thick from memory? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cletus said:

Both, current fans are about 75mm thick and cover full width of the core. I could fit 2x 11" fans if one was up and one down 

My big concern is it can't keep itself cool now, and I haven't put it under any stress yet. 

and I don't want to spend $500 to find out it's not that much better/still borderline because a $250 fan isn't better enough than a $80 one  

After thinking about it a bit more I might be better to live with the fan noise and use a engine driven fanny  

It's already full of turnips so I can't fit anything else in there 

in my experience there is a difference between the cheap and expensive electric fans but not enough to solve your woes i reckon. if its getting hot and you've got two ,fairly small TBH, electric fans on there then upgrading to the most expensive fan you can fit still wont fix the problem. 

larger diameter makes a big difference too, if you can fit one 16" fan - somehow- rather than two 11" fans that would be better. youd need a shroud and shit but yea bigger is better. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah my fan sharn is with the Buick which was a hot thing, has a massive stock radiator. Tried electric fans for less woooo noises from the engine driven fan. First semi-cheap electric fans were not enough would creep up at idle, then big expensive ones still creeping up, then made a shroud better but still shit comapred to stock would creep on the gauge in traffic. I figured the only way to make it work would be how the after-market kits seemed to do it, with a even bigger alloy rad (the stock one is honestly huge) and then with the bigger/better alloy rad you can fit two even more massive aftermarket fans with a shroud. I went back to engine drive as it moved 8 billion times more air, like a hot breeze blowing on your ankles when beside the car the electric fans did nothing like that just a small puff.

I did use one of those Volvo jobs on something, they work pretty mint seem to move way more air than aftermarket fans but ugly as. So as above maybe try smash something factory in is the go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mate has a 4cyl petrol surf, temp sensor has rusted out of the catalytic converter.

Unplugging the sensor doesn't seem to make any immediate difference, guessing swapping cat for a straight pipe is the go?

• Like 1

Bitches.

I have purchased a large Mikuni diesel bus heater that I will use as a shed heater, for reasons.

It is 24v, and I happen to have two spare batteries that are mostly fucked but may do for this situation.

What would be the best/cheapest way to keep them charged for starting and also when running etc?

I guess the most budget would be a couple of cheapy battery chargers, but would they cause issues if left hooked up long term? 

What are your thoughts O wise ones.

6 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Bitches.

I have purchased a large Mikuni diesel bus heater that I will use as a shed heater, for reasons.

It is 24v, and I happen to have two spare batteries that are mostly fucked but may do for this situation.

What would be the best/cheapest way to keep them charged for starting and also when running etc?

I guess the most budget would be a couple of cheapy battery chargers, but would they cause issues if left hooked up long term? 

What are your thoughts O wise ones.

NZ$ 82.35  55%OFF | 30V 10A Laboratory Power Supply Digital Display Adjustable Switching DC Power Supply Voltage Regulator 220 V /110 V New Arrivals
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM5FeCa what about flagging the batteries and running one of these? We run them at work as laptop chargers as way cheaper than multiple laptop chargers. I assume the the 24V is just running a fan?

• Like 2