K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

old style chev in a commodore is a cunt of an idea IMO. they are a round peg in a square hole. sump doesnt fit, starter doesnt fit, headers are hard to fit, the kit you get from australia drops the front crossmember 50 ish mm so you cant lower it or the steering arms end up on funky angles

ls1= if someone was to go to the hassle of swapping a chev into a commode then would be much more worthwhile but still not a easy bolt in

• Like 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hey I was busy last night  :wink:

Great choice of engin Mayte. Assuming it's Muncie's old engine I can drop it off to Stewie in Tauranga for you (will give him your brake parts too).

I've also toyed with the idea of using the very last of the 304 engines in my panelvan but I'm too poor so will be using VN running gear instead. Therefore I will be living out my VT 304 (VM VU block )fantasies through your build thread. Not all of the VT roller cam engines are equipped with 4 bolt mains though, not that it's really going to matter a whole lot even if you stroke it to 355ci. Just don't want you getting too disappointed when you drop the sump and each cap is only fastened with 2 bolts. Even the 4 bolt engine has a three 4 bolt caps and two 2 bolt caps. They have much better crank webbing too and a stronger water pump wall so if you decide to ram somebody your water pump impeller shouldn't impale your engine (handy eh?).

Do you know if your engine has the 4 pin plug distributor? 

I've got some huge computer documents and articles etc from publications that I've scanned over the years relating to the Holden V8 etc. Will try and throw them on a USB or something for you.

The Max Ellery Holden V8 rebuild/Hotrod book is pretty good but does have quite a few inconsistencies so I would do some backup research into any claims that are made in there. It's still a wealth of information though.

They're all too scared to say it, you big bully.

The 327 and 350 have always stuck in my head as the better Chebby and often GMH motors, not to say the others like the 304 and 308 aren't OK they're just the wee fellas. The 253 is ham though.

But when you factor in the sound quality, GMHV8 trumps the Chevrolets.

• Like 1

I understand the need to junk the EFI, but what would it take to run it? You would need the loom plus a new cert?

A mate has a HZ sedan running the whole commy running gear, OG paint and tridents, it's pretty sweet.

But he bought a complete donner car.

• 3 weeks later...

No they are 15" pursuit wheels off a VR/VS cop car. They bolt straight on with no modification.

You are thinking og the 16" pursuit rims that are off a VE and I have found out that the center needs to be machined a very small amount to fit them onto any Commodore older than a VE.

• 2 months later...

Did you end up running that elec dizzy I gave you a while back?  I'm selling another (refurbished one this time) one on the tard at the mo

I gave it a birthday a few months ago, converted it to the small cap type and I'ts waiting to go into the new motor.