K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

What kind of strange things?

Surging and cutting out turning right on trailing throttle. The cheap and nasty stock replacement fuel pump on my Camaro put out just under 7psi. Regulated the pressure down to the book level of 5.5 from memory and all was sweetness and light. I don't mind admitting that one took a while to find because no one would believe that the pump did that much pressure. The other thing to check is the float level, not always set right from teh factory. I'm on my 3rd one of these carbies and they all needed adjustment. An electric fuel pump is a good idea for a car that sits round a lot, the Firebird always takes a while to fire up when its been left for more than a week. Daily drivers not such a problem.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for that.

Quick question you may know the answer to. Why does it have 2 mounting holes per corner of the carb.

I presumed one is for square bore and one for spread bore but all the guff I am reading tonight indicates I'll need an adapter to run this carb (cos it has a squarebore mounting) on a spreadbore manifold.

• Like 1

You are right, the 2 sets of holes are to allow bolting up to either type of intake. You will need the adapter to run on a spreadbore manifold. I have always used a paper gasket with gasket sealer between the adapter and manifold. Every time I didn't there was an air leak.  

• Like 1

Cool - I'm totally down with buying an adapter for the EP but it mystifies me why the EP comes with 2 sets of holes if you are going to need an adapter anyway. All the adapters I have seen adapt the bolt pattern so having them on the carb is pointless?.

(sound like a rookie as comment but this is the first time I have needed to run an adapter as I have always had matched carb and manifold types)

Only thing I can think of is some unusual adapter that requires a very long set of studs running right through the carb and adapter as one piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just assessing options at the moment.

Going to pull the heads anyway and take a look at the bores, then take a geeze at the bearings and see if I should rebuild or just haul ass.

I know how lazy I am and I should really do it right the first time and rebuild the motor but $$$ may not allow that. Will wait till I get the pants off and look at it.