K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Radical! Is the essentially the same crab we were talking about last weekend ?

Exactly the one we were talking about.

It's a edelbrock performer right. I'm sad you didn't just sort the Q-jet.

I need to find one with the right parts or rekit a new one - either option will probably cost me $100 odd and I could be no better off than right now.

That vs brand new, and comes with a calibration kit for $400.

when is someone going to man up and get the matt black ultra dominator...............

I wish I had the suck required for something like that. I put all my Dominator eggs into Steeb's basket for that big mountain block he is building for the HZ.

From the ad - looks pretty sweet deal to me for $400.

406619674.jpg

• Like 2

i have a 500cfm one on te val, worked well out of the box, no flat spots etc

only odd thing it does, not sure why but fuel seems to evaporate out of it worse than any other carb ive had, so if you dont drive the car for a couple of weeks it takes a while for the pump to fill the bowls up so it can start (mechanical pump)

elec pump would solve that though

I didn't quite pick up what was wrong with yours? It was built already?

Short story, long... The secondary air doors have always stuck closed whenever I have checked them and I thought it felt like it was intermittent with the secondaries coming in, but I didn't know if my bum dyno was just playing tricks on me. Then I noticed it got worse during Nats roadtrip this year. 

I have adjusted them and filed them a couple of times over the last year and checked dozens of times that they are not touching the body of the carb but the air doors always needed a decent push with the thumb to open and after they "break loose" then they will move freely through the range of movement.

In my understanding they should be free to open with only a light amount of pressure. So I am pretty sure the spindle has been bent since day 1,

To seal the coffin I found out last time I was playing with it that one of the threads for holding the air doors to the spindle has fucked out. It could have been when I undid it to take the flaps off to file them but I didn't think I was that much of a rough cunt - nevertheless I resolved to replace it at some point with another but after talking myself into a Edelbrock Performer down Hamner, I looked on the Tard today, found a fuckin bargain and snapped it up.

Would have been cool to rock the Q-Jet but the EP is just so easy and I'm lazy in my old age.

only odd thing it does, not sure why but fuel seems to evaporate out of it worse than any other carb ive had, so if you dont drive the car for a couple of weeks it takes a while for the pump to fill the bowls up so it can start (mechanical pump)

My Q-jet does that anyway. If I don't drive it for a week I have to crank it for 15-20 seconds to fire it up. So I'm used to it. LOL

Plus when I got to 304 I need to fit electric fuel pump cos the 304 has no fuel pump boss and the roller cam has no fuel pump eccentric either.

• Like 2

Oh I see, yea they do get bent but Usually it's the plastic cam and spring that they operate that is binding them. I have lots of spares if you ever want to revisit it.

Give that performer a wideband tune of you can and it will serve you well anyway.

Yeah will wideband the new motor once I've got it in.

The other thing to watch out is fuel pressure on the performer, they do strange things if the pressure is too high. Also they can be leaned up a couple of steps without any problems, they are calibrated for US fuel which is crappier that the stuff we get here. Otherwise they are top carbs.

• Like 1

The other thing to watch out is fuel pressure on the performer, they do strange things if the pressure is too high. Also they can be leaned up a couple of steps without any problems, they are calibrated for US fuel which is crappier that the stuff we get here. Otherwise they are top carbs.

What kind of strange things?