• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,013 Excellent

About Kiwibirdman

  • Rank
    Post Fiend
  • Birthday 07/08/1968

Profile Information

  • Gender


  • Local Area

Recent Profile Visitors

730 profile views
  1. Good to see that you are back on this.
  2. Kiwibirdman

    Morris 8 Misfire

    What is the general condition of the engine, I would do a compression test on all cylinders. Less compression will make the fuel air mix harder to fire.
  3. Kiwibirdman

    Small size, High CCA battery

    Its an injected 5 litre out of a VT commodore. Should start theory. At least it doesn't have the fuel evaporation issues that my Firebird has when left to sit for a while.
  4. Kiwibirdman

    Small size, High CCA battery

    I was thinking about this, the commodore the motor came out of had everything that opens and shuts, my car has the bare minimum. The big worry for me is having enough grunt to turn it over. Mounting in the boot is an issue being a station wagon, the spare wheel well has gone for the fuel tank.
  5. Kiwibirdman

    Small size, High CCA battery

    I am looking for a small sized but reasonable CCA (500) battery to put into my EJ Holden. The commodore the engine cam out of has a 550 CCA battery so I want to keep close to that but I don't have a lot of space in the engine bay. What have other people used where they are squeezed for space?
  6. Kiwibirdman

    Kiwibirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

    More slow progress. Got all the side trim on the car. Between panel beating the trim (looks good from 10 feet away), polishing, making new clips and then fitting there is about 16 hours invested. Side trim, picking the best set Polishing machine. A strangely satisfying way of killing a lot of time. I had the bonnet spear and the bezel for the lock rechromed by the bumper repair people in Onehunga. Both came up like new. Bloody expensive pass time getting chrome done, especially when the old stuff is badly pitted. The door windows are in on the drivers side, again took bloody hours. There is an order that the windows go in and its different front to back. The other side hasn't been done yet, the channel that should be welded to the inside of the rear door frame is missing. This is a door that I bought repaired and the channel must have been taken out to fix some rust and never got put back in. I have a new one folded up and am hoping that epoxy glue will be enough to hold it it. Since the car is painted I don't want to be welding the door frame. I am also looking for a good front Quarter light window for the passengers door, the frame on mine is falling apart with rust. If any one knows of one please send the details my way.
  7. Kiwibirdman

    For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

    For your tether point, the section of the floor between the back of the seat and the lift out to get to the spare wheel, has a frame under it. Here is a photo of my EJ through the side window. It is good and solid, made up of 2 pieces so drilling and adding a crush tube and it will be fine. This is probably stronger than the parcel shelf in most sedans.
  8. Kiwibirdman

    Oil Pressure Senders

    From your first post I think you have a dud sender. No unheard of to get a dud out of the box.
  9. Kiwibirdman

    Kiwibirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

    Have been plugging away at the car. Latest job is spraying fish oil into all the seams and cavities. I am not popular with the rest of the family, the smell has wafted through the whole house. 2 coats done, one more tomorrow.
  10. Kiwibirdman

    For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

    Problem with running down the inside of the draw bar is it's another hole to let in water. Not an issue if the trailer is hot dip galvanized.
  11. Kiwibirdman

    KiwiBirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

    Thanks Mate. It is a great leap forward. I'm pretty slack about updating the build thread. Lots of half finished bits that only need a small push to get finished. I promise to do some more regular updates, it is pretty close. Put it together, get @cletus to certify and get it registered. Easy, should be done in no time!
  12. Kiwibirdman

    Kiwibirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

    The satin black is a bastard to keep clean so its kept under the plastic sheet. I hit the car with a McGuires product that is for satin finishes. It took a whole day to fit the grill to the front panel, each slat had to be individually made straight then bent to line up. I got pretty good at it by the last one. The front panel got bolted on. Even though it had been together this is the first time all the bolts had been put in. I ran a tap through the threads which made life a lot easier, all the captured nuts were full of paint. The passengers side wasn't too bad, it was the original guard going back on, drivers side was a guard of another car so needed a bit of persuasion. Need the stick to hold up the bonnet. The extra weight of the die cast badge and bits of trim was enough for the bonnet to not stay up. I assembled the hatch and tail gate locks first after it was painted. The tail lights were some I bought about 6 months ago and are really good.
  13. Kiwibirdman

    Kiwibirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

    Since my last update there has been a bit of progress. The car went to the paint shop in July for a 3 -4 week turn around. It sat.......and sat....... and then one day out of the blue I got the call, come and get it, its painted. That was December. Out in the sun it just blew me away.
  14. Kiwibirdman

    Chrome bumper bolts

    If you want nice new ones people like classic industries in the US have them for all sorts of cars. The prices are usually pretty good as well.
  15. Looking forward to a Burger tonight. Trust there will be some others to eat with and talk shit about old cars.