Benno

Members
  • Content Count

    715
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

707 Excellent

About Benno

  • Rank
    Post Fiend

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Converted

  • Local Area
    Christchurch

Recent Profile Visitors

781 profile views
  1. From my research, it seems capri rotors are similar. The height of the rotors is off by 2mm and the centre bore is a bit too small, but could probably be machined to fit. Unsure about the PCD, but the Zephyr discs are also 4 stud so could be redrilled if necessary. I think I'll get the existing rotors skimmed and see how bad they are, should be good enough to get me through revin at least. https://www.nzautomotive.co.nz/products/disc-rotors-ft-ford-capri-cortina-escort-mk1-245mm
  2. My Zephyr brake rotors have some fairly deep rust pitting. I have tried to find new rotors, without any luck. I have spoken to someone who could machine some for me from billet steel. Would these be legal, for re-vin and WOFs? Apart from accelerating wear to the discs, would there be any issues from remaining pitting if I got my existing rotors machined to at or near the minimum manufacturers tolerance?
  3. I've got an Accuspark in the escort. No problems with it, so much smoother and less maintenance than the points were
  4. Fixed the small rust patch in the floor and filled the holes that had been drilled to install the bucket seats. All the rest of the rust came off with a wire wheel. ' Sanded off most of the paint, especially on any areas which looked like there might be any surface rust. I've painted it using Brunox to catch any last bits of rust
  5. I also have one of those, I'm happy with it. Works well for both MIG and arc welding.
  6. Still chipping away at stripping and sanding the floor pans. Decided to blow off some dust with some compressed air, I was surprised at how much crap came out when I poked it into the sill. I used my aliexpress special inspection camera, which worked surprisingly well. Rigged up a hose on the vacuum cleaner, worked a treat to clear it out. Fortunately no serious rust, once I've got them painted I'll fill it with cavity wax.
  7. Stripping the floor pans. Using a strip disc, wire wheel and 80 grid sandpaper. Running low on materials, so might need to go on hold soon until after quarantine is lifted. I'm going to use brunox and a satin black top coat. Eventually I will lay down some Kilmat (or similar) before carpet, but planning on taking through Revin first.
  8. Mostly strip disc on the grinder. Used a wire brush attachment for the grinder and drill to get some of the bits round the seams. Manual sanding with 80 grit for the rest. No worries mate, I'll probably have heaps of questions when it comes to reassembling it!
  9. Mostly to bare metal. Didn't get any pics of it just before paint unfortunately, here is about 90% stripped.
  10. Got most of my font suspension bits stripped, rust treated with phosphoric acid and into epoxy primer. I will get some 2K black when I can. I'm going to get the struts converted to gas. Stripped the brake calipers down. The pistons had a bit of rust, but the housings have cleaned up well. Ordered a rebuild kit with new pistons. Took out the poorly installed front bucket seats and test fitted the bench seat. For some reason when they installed the bucket seats they had drilled new holes directly next to the mounting points for the original seat. Hopefully can patch without too much drama. Floor pan is generally pretty good, mostly surface rust. Only found one rust hole about the size of a finger nail so far.
  11. Slowly but surely making some progress on this. Got the engine bay stripped and into epoxy primer. I've removed the dash and the first bit of sound deadening. Bit of rust under the sound deadening, but nothing major so far. Found a small hole around the size of a 10c coin but that should be easy to sort. Planning on cleaning floor back with a wire wheel and treating with Brunox, before overcoating. Probably will just brush it on, doesn't need to look pretty.
  12. Yeah, the otira gorge was a bit slow but made it all good. Stoked with all the bits, thanks!
  13. Nah, factory colour seems to be beige. Will be painting it Oxford Blue eventually
  14. A guy on facebook was giving away some motors and parts, after finishing his project. Drove over to Greymouth to collect them. Now got 4 parts motors, so should hopefully have enough good bits when it comes to building a motor for it. Finished stripping the engine bay, removed suspension and cross member. I have made a start removing the underseal from the guards, only been finding some light surface rust so far. Will continue removing the undereseal and make a start bare metalling the engine bay next.
  15. Been making some slow progress on this. Go the guards and front valance off and engine bay nearly stripped now. Just got to take the steering box and column out now. No nasty surprises so far which is nice. In more exciting news, I've got my hands on some triple carbs for it. Not sure what the condition of the SU's is like, but externally they look all good.