K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this section only for brake parts? Is there a separate section for suspension modification/weldy weldy?

I would say they go hand in hand and suspension is considered part of the braking system.

Is the replacement whiteline as well?

I believe it is.

the requirements for welding of a suspension are in the hobby car manual.

the way i read it, rear suspension parts can be mig welded and it doesnt require crack testing.

there are 2 different classifications in the book for welding- critical and non critical. critical is tig/crack test, non critical can be tig/mig/arc and no crack test needed

page 6-33 in the HCM has the relevant rule

• Like 3

The shape of most car parts makes mpi the only practical ndt method.

While mpi won't show up inclusions its not usually as big an issue as pipe welding due to how the parts are loaded and how they are likely to show signs of failure in service. The visual inspection should be able to check for missed edges and penetration.

• Like 1

I may have a set of rear fender extentions for you if you are interested? I have two sets at different lengths (both mint). I am keeping one set for me but am happy to donate the others to a cause as worthy as the wag.

If you want em just measure up from your bumper to the wheel arch. I was told that one set was sedan and the other wag......

• 3 weeks later...

are you still rollin' mitsi spec stem seals?

Ooooh hell yeah. I figured out when I ripped the heads off for the BHG that its actually the bore not stem seals. But didn't/still don't have the funds to give it a rebuild so just rolling with what I've got and smokey the bandit I shall be.

I suspect a piston was BDC on one cylinder and it was lying on it's side with a lung full of water in there for a bit longer than necessary.

It has a reasonable amount of pitting with a tide mark in that one cylinder and a little bit in a couple others on the same side.

• Like 1