si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/number-plates/

http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM3701906.html

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1995/0136/latest/DLM201140.html

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM3705398.html#DLM3705398

Here is an email reply from the NZ Police regarding this matter. A bit out of date:

Thank you for your email dated 21 September 2011. 

Registration plates with a black background and silver lettering were produced until November 1986, no further black and silver plates were manufactured after this date. A plate with a 3 letter 3 number combination (i.e. ABC123) would not have been manufactured on Black and Silver plates. 

Legislation states that only official registration plates may be used. Therefore the plates displayed on this vehicle will not be legal. 

My understanding is that it is not legal. The legislation doesn't account for people painting later plates to look like the early ones however due to the reflective background on modern plates, painting them (legal on older plates to 'restore' them)is modifying them from their original purpose. They will no longer work as intended (the 'distinguishing mark/marks' are no longer visible).

I have seen a driver receive a ticket for using them, but he was a cunt. I've been pulled over with them and the cop didn't mention them. It hasn't really been targeted specifically.

• Like 2

A few years ago I took a Ford Anglia for a reVIN, it failed on brake performance but it has a 1600 motor in it witch they didn't notice,

would that need a cert, or would no one ever notice? I need to finish it and get them to do another inspection.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SOHC said:

A few years ago I took a Ford Anglia for a reVIN, it failed on brake performance but it has a 1600 motor in it witch they didn't notice,

would that need a cert, or would no one ever notice? I need to finish it and get them to do another inspection.

It does need a cert but if no-one ever notices, why waste $700?

• Like 1

Recommendations on certifier in Auckland?

swapping motor from a car that was certed to one that's needs cert.

was hope to use lance walsh who Certed the original car but seems he's since retired.

called Alex gee and he said he's sticking to bikes and to call Gareth court.

called him, he sounds busy and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

basiclly just want someone I can email photos threw to regarding cutting and welding of fire wall and engine mounts to say yes or no before I start the process 

cheers in advance

ash

12 minutes ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Recommendations on certifier in Auckland?

swapping motor from a car that was certed to one that's needs cert.

was hope to use lance walsh who Certed the original car but seems he's since retired.

called Alex gee and he said he's sticking to bikes and to call Gareth court.

called him, he sounds busy and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

basiclly just want someone I can email photos threw to regarding cutting and welding of fire wall and engine mounts to say yes or no before I start the process 

cheers in advance

ash

Clint, Cletus on here, is a certifier.

• Like 6

I have just removed the adjustable suspension from one of my cars, its certed for that and a bunch of other stuff too.

Is the wof man going to tell me to refit my aftermarket suspension (i have other track cars now and am enjoying actually having some suspension travel too). Or complain that the height listed on the cert plate doesn't match actual height?

Cheers 

Clint,

Whats the deal with chassis mods?

If I were to say, buy the back section of a chassis that is IRS, and stitch it to the rest of my chassis in my Crown wagon (talking solid chassis cars here) whats the legal requirements?

I assume fish plates, but thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

Clint,

Whats the deal with chassis mods?

If I were to say, buy the back section of a chassis that is IRS, and stitch it to the rest of my chassis in my Crown wagon (talking solid chassis cars here) whats the legal requirements?

I assume fish plates, but thoughts?

F

Handling benefits? Na mate, this is all in the name of slam I guess. Although to correct its already 4 link and coil springs from factory.  Kinda want to go full retard and air bag this thing. But being a Wagon with a dicki seat I don't want to sacrifice any floor obstructions with diff heads and c notches. 

As far as full chassis swap goes I would encounter the same issues, and others.

• Like 3