For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone gone through design approval process with lvvta/TAC? Ol' m8 Julian thinks my cars too modded and wants to put me up against the design approval, but aside from lvvta website not sending the CCM, the Internet seems pretty quiet on it. 

Depends what the issue is, I had to submit a couple of reports for the truck, basically to prove my solution for the pitman arm was stronger than the oem, and a pretty serious bump steer check.

I tried to be as logical and clear as possible and it was no problem...

11 minutes ago, SiRge said:

Anyone gone through design approval process with lvvta/TAC? Ol' m8 Julian thinks my cars too modded and wants to put me up against the design approval, but aside from lvvta website not sending the CCD, the Internet seems pretty quiet on it. 

Yes. I needed to do it for the non-standard method I used to weld mounting flanges to my BC coil overs.

I filled out the standard part of the forms then added extra pages at the end with photos of what I had done so far and scale drawings showing measurements and detail of stuff that's not super obvious in the photos. I had my application delivered to LVVTA office. They sent me an invoice for the $150. Then I had to wait until the next monthly TAC meeting. My application was posted back to me within a week of the meeting and it had been approved.

If it wasn't approved, I'd expect notes saying what I needed to change or additional detail they wanted. Then I'd have a month to sort it and send in before the next monthly TAC meeting otherwise you have to wait another month. 

The main problem I have with the process is they're expecting me to submit a design to get approved, but Im not an engineer (happy to fab things, but plan wasnt to do final welding myself). When I asked engineer, they told me to talk to certifier. Talked to certifier and they want me to go to design approval. 

Ultimately I don't want to spend $150 to go for design approval for them to laugh me away and stop wasting their time. I have all the enthusiasm for learning, but seemingly no one who's interested to teach 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SiRge said:

Anyone gone through design approval process with lvvta/TAC? Ol' m8 Julian thinks my cars too modded and wants to put me up against the design approval, but aside from lvvta website not sending the CCM, the Internet seems pretty quiet on it. 

It's not particularly difficult 

It is intended to be used by people modifying cars, to help them with their projects.

there is a range of people with different abilities sending applications through and they all get looked at, they are not viewed as wasting anyone's time. Some are hundreds of pages long with cad drawings and FEA paperwork, and some are literally hand sketched drawings.  Photos are very helpful in an application 

You will probably struggle to find someone to teach you how to do your particular project as it's quite different , so there isn't going to be anyone with a recipie for exactly what needs doing. Certifiers can guide you along the way but, time is money, if the certifier is willing to help design the car/mods you're wanting to do, it gets expensive quickly  

Time is the biggest factor when getting people to help you. It's not uncommon for me to spend 2-3 hours a day on the phone, talking to people about their projects, emailing , looking at parts etc etc. This ends up eating into the time I have to do work I can actually charge out- there has to be a balance and this is why it can be hard to find people who can help you 

lvvta.org.nz  you can download a design approval application from there 

There are also infosheets on design approval 

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_11-2012_LVVTA_Approval_Application_Guide.pdf

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2016_LVV_Custom_Independent_Front_and_Rear_Suspension_Approval_Application_Guide.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering on what people's approaches are re rereging cars with extensive rust repair work. Do you get the repair cert guy in early or just get into it and document it all as you go and just let the wof guys ask questions where they see fit and providing necessary proof of repairs on a case by case basis? Ie do I run the gauntlet and beg for forgiveness or open up a shit sandwich from the outset? When I did the Humber 14 odd years ago I just did it, but had one tricky bit done by a local panel beater and the wof man checked that out with the repairer and was sufficiently happy. There were plenty of old repairs in that weren't super flash but it got through

Based in Taranaki, I'm told no repair certifiers here, closest palmy. 

Get an initial inspection done and have a chat with repair certifier to undertand the process. He will say what he wants to see and how he would like it done. He will also tell you at what stages he needs to come back for progress inspections, which will depend of the level of repairs needed.

And take a shitload of photos throughout.

Can give you a more detailed example of the way I go through the process if you want to pm me. 

• Like 3

engage repair certifier before even contemplating a re-vin, if their is any doubt....... so many think they know the system, then spend mega-bucks on repairs.
my project has some repairs, but appear cosmetic only and full chassis. repair certifier pretty kosha with everything

• Like 1

My diff has been shortened but I have realised that it would be good to come in about 5-10mm more on each side. Since all the brackets are already welded on, would it be okay to cut the axle housing flanges off, remove that 5-10mm, and weld them back on? I would shorten the axles at the splines to suit.