For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 10:57, Raizer said:

Is it a WOF fail to replace the hinge pins in door hinges with high tensile bolts?

Might have just been a Barry yarn, but I've been told it's a no go.

Cant see a problem with that if it all works properly 

• Like 3

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Toddy415 said:

This has probably asked a million times but here goes, my step dad has a 1994 silverado ext cab thats not complied yet. From reading nzta rules etc. It shouldnt need converted to rhd because its over 20 years old.

My question is does the import date matter on having to convert it to rhd? This has been in nz for years now previous owner never put it on the road because he was going to convert it but if it doesnt need converted then that would save a lot of pissing round.

I don't think the import date matters, I have heard of a few trucks sitting around waiting for their 20th birthday so they can be complied

A guy I know drove one for 3 years with plates off a holden ute till it got to 20 years old then he registered it properly.

• Like 5

provided you have the declaration papers for dereg in the USA/clean title  I don't think it matters when it came into the country if it has never been in the system here, it's not something I expect they track since until you goto vin/reg it might as well be for parts or private road use. What will matter is what GVM it has which depends on the exact model for those. if it puts it in commercial territory you have to get it converted regardless.

I need to modify my rear LCA subframe mounts to run an eccentric bolt, to dial back camber for cert.

I put together a document outlining what i was planning to do and sent it my local certifiers way.

He was ok with the design i put forward. It similar to the one in the link below (post by al_feinted, about 1/3 down)

He got back to me with "  Yes this should be tig welded and crack tested, the 2 skin fabricated mount is ok "

So I got back to him asking if i should grab a non destructive form from him when i can for the crack testers, but he replied " don't need crack test for rear frame "

Has anyone run something similar through cert and know the requirements?

Thanks

I have just purchased a modified car that has a declaration paper and am wondering what rules it must comply with as far as suspension. The rear end is on 50mm blocks so no dramas there but the front has "V8 Falcon coils" according to the declaration paper. The coils aren't captive in the factory struts and I suspect they may have been trimmed also. Is this legal as it was done before the LVVTA cert rules came in? At some stage I want to have the shocks replaced and new springs made so it is captive and more comfortable but will I have to do this before the next wof or is it legal in which case I'll save some more coin and get some other work done first.

Re USA vehicles and weight/rhd conversions. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but as long as it is 20  years or older and under 3500 kg? 

How is that weight measured/specified? Some pick-ups have A sign on  the door etc. A d as a rule of thumb the 1/2 and 3/4 ton c10, c20 f100 f150 & f250 are ok. What about vans/suburbans? It seems that the 8 stud vans etc seem to be "one ton" but the weight specs seem to he under the 3.5t or roughly 7000 pounds 

Yeah manufacturer gvm is what it goes on. Have had a customer get caught out with a chev truck, it was a lwb single cab with a small block,  so you would think it would be fine, but it was called a "camper special" and had a higher gvm so it had to be registered as a heavy vehicle

• Like 2

It's hard to generalise I think, you would probably be OK with an F150 or E150 van (c.f. Chev 1500 truck/van).

F250/E250 or Chev 2500 could be under or over depending on the model. 

F350/E350 or Chev 3500 similar, but more likely to be over.

I understand that LVVTA and NZTA have got a lot tougher on the limit so you can't slide through anymore.

4 minutes ago, cletus said:

Yeah manufacturer gvm is what it goes on. Have had a customer get caught out with a chev truck, it was a lwb single cab with a small block,  so you would think it would be fine, but it was called a "camper special" and had a higher gvm so it had to be registered as a heavy vehicle

That's exactly what I was afraid of re vans etc. I assume the only way of checking is look at the plate on the vehicle? 

There is a 'burbin I'm looking at, 350/350 combo but 8 stud so potientally heavy duty or too heavy. I'll ask the seller etc and see how it goes 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chris r said:

That's exactly what I was afraid of re vans etc. I assume the only way of checking is look at the plate on the vehicle? 

There is a 'burbin I'm looking at, 350/350 combo but 8 stud so potientally heavy duty or too heavy. I'll ask the seller etc and see how it goes 

You might be alright, my 70' c15 (8 stud) was only a 3/4 tonner, was coils all round.  they went to leaf in 72' probably up-rated the load a bit, and being an empty box for the most part were lighter than most sedans of the time. Good truck/van/wagon thing, nice to drive and quite nimble for what it was

8 minutes ago, doullama said:

You might be alright, my 70' c15 (8 stud) was only a 3/4 tonner, was coils all round.  they went to leaf in 72' probably up-rated the load a bit, and being an empty box for the most part were lighter than most sedans of the time. Good truck/van/wagon thing, nice to drive and quite nimble for what it was

My old c10 was 6 stud but only half ton. Might be alright could be a expensive gamble haha. 

• Like 1