For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

10 hours ago, Nominal said:

If I wanted to get wheel spacers only certed, would it be cheap-ish?

Not really,  it still costs the same amount to the certifier to get the plate

I usually suggest to people that they just get wheels that fit rather than wheels and spacers and cert

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 19:49, Carsnz123 said:

Whats the rules on bumpers? I like the no bumper look these golfs are rocking and thought I'd do something similar on my Mk2 golf.

Can be done as long as it doesn't have any sharp edges or anything that would make it more harmful to wayward pedestrians that may end up in front of you

• Like 1

Im assuming its certable to mount fuel pump with blind fastners (pop rivets). Looking to fix a bracket for pump to underside of car just forward of fuel tank to hollow section of pressed steel that is part of the floor, well attached to the floor pan ya know. Cant get to the back side, ok to fix it with 4 pop rivets?

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 12:43, Vintage Grumble said:

Hello, whats the go with modifying fuel tanks? Like is it OK to weld a box to the bottom of a tank to act like a sump/surge tank, or does this need to be certed?

Chur my bro.

You can modify a tank, technically that would need cert.

you may get away with it because already cert though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldrx said:

Im assuming its certable to mount fuel pump with blind fastners (pop rivets). Looking to fix a bracket for pump to underside of car just forward of fuel tank to hollow section of pressed steel that is part of the floor, well attached to the floor pan ya know. Cant get to the back side, ok to fix it with 4 pop rivets?

Might be ok, size and construction of rivet, weight of pump, vibration and design of the bracket are all things to consider. Might be better to put rivnuts in it and bolt it in

On 26/01/2017 at 19:45, Carsnz123 said:

Right going to have to cancel the order of sharp stabby things. So the lack of a strong metal thing protecting my engine and radiator wont be an issue.

On a Mk2 it will be an issue because the front bumper is also what the bolts bolt into that support the front engine mount. So be aware you are going to have to find a solution for that, be it cutting the bumper brackets off and bolting them up or whatever.

6 hours ago, M M said:

On a Mk2 it will be an issue because the front bumper is also what the bolts bolt into that support the front engine mount. So be aware you are going to have to find a solution for that, be it cutting the bumper brackets off and bolting them up or whatever.

I'd forgotten about that. I think I might make up some plates for the front cross member to bolt to in lieu of the bumper. Probably a bit of 4x2 RHS linking them together up close to the radiator should offer some protection from frontal impact.

13 hours ago, dave said:

just keep your bumpers on. no bumpers only kinda works on mk1s imo

I agree with this, though I've seen maybe one or two kind of pull it off. The problem is the Mk2 has a big recess for the bumpers where as on the Mk1 the bumpers sit in front of the body. So when you remove them it doesn't look like anything is missing.