Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Roman said:

From the article that said on the headline "Quicker than a Dodge Challenger r/t" 
I've successfully outsourced my trolling and extreme smugness. 
God bless the internet. haha

image.png.028ae125fafb9666272f7c416e4ab3b2.png

Yeah but they've been building crazy Prius motors in Thailand for ages so you should just give up.

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Roman said:

From the article that said on the headline "Quicker than a Dodge Challenger r/t" 

i hope to see it's quicker with new tune and exhaust, and some more comparisons put up.. like, faster than a lambo uses less fuel than a prius, sounds better than tesla, fits in smaller parking spots . faster than a speeding bullet train doing 190kmh 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Roman said:

Initially I was looking to longer term get something like Nankang AR1 which still comes in 13".
However I somewhat stumbled into the idea of raiding the used parts bins of the TRS series cars. 

These cars run a 13" wheel with a Michelen front tyre which is about the equivalent of a 200/52/13 size. 
I am amid some negotiations to get a set of 4 second hand soft compound slicks that still have some life in them (but beyond the point of usefulness for the series cars)
I dont have any tyres yet, maybe this coming week. But I'm fizzing to get some and see how they fit up.
Hopefully it works out well. 

The new tyre size has a smaller rolling diameter than current.
It'll have the equivalent effect of changing from the 4.3 final drive ratio, to a 4.6 final. With considerably less effort or $$ needed.
The car will also receive some free lowering too. sounds like a win-win to me.

Having just been blown away by how much grip the car had with old R888R, I think I'm gonna wee my pants with the grip available from soft compound slicks. 

So...

The Michelin TRS tyres are/were absolutely awesome (They are a F3/F4 tyre), they work from cold, have amazing amounts of grip and were cheap, hence why I run them.

So for track days they would be perfect for you.

Unfortunately with the latest TRS Chassis they changed rim and tyre sizes and moved the rears to the front and went bigger again on the rear.

So the easy access to these tyres is now gone and everyone who was running them are hoarding them (like me) . The new tyres on the TRS are Hankooks which are nowhere near as good.

You can still find the old tyres but they will be at least 2 years old (not really an issue they are still amazing) but it's a lot harder to find a decent set as they are usually pretty worn.

Compared to semi slicks there is no comparison, they will have more grip and will last a shit load longer.

Just to be aware the tyres were designed for a 9" rim, but most guys run them on 8" rims, this means they bulge out to 220mm but tread is still 200mm they have a diameter of 540mm. The new TRS fronts require a 10" rim and 580mm diameter.

image.png.0d15889a11a272e8621d256cc55c4905.png

The rain versions I've been told are amazing in the wet, the grip is like driving in the dry. A lot of guys use them for hill climbs and sprints where you need "treaded" tyres.

If you want new slicks you are looking at around 450+gst a tyre, and I can put you in touch with the person who brings them in, seems like a lot but for you they would probably last many years and still be faster then semi slicks.

For pressures run them at 21 psi hot and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, yes it will be slightly rolly, but get used to it and the grip and life of the tyres is that much better, just be careful on initial warm up as you will be starting at 15-17psi so avoid curbs etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hyperblade said:

Unfortunately with the latest TRS Chassis they changed rim and tyre sizes and moved the rears to the front and went bigger again on the rear.

There's still a good number of FT40 and FT50 chassis being raced in the north island's Formula Open series, so there's potential to get the right second hand tyres from those teams. They'll have more race KMs on them and might not be as cheap as they were in TRS days, but it'll still be an option for club racers if you talk to the right people. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

There's still a good number of FT40 and FT50 chassis being raced in the north island's Formula Open series, so there's potential to get the right second hand tyres from those teams. They'll have more race KMs on them and might not be as cheap as they were in TRS days, but it'll still be an option for club racers if you talk to the right people. 

TRS was good as they had new set each weekend so it forced them to get rid of them early, so sometimes they tyres had only done 1 race.

With these guys running the old cars I suspect they will run the tyres into the ground (using in testing etc) since they aren't in the same type of competitive series with the same type of money being thrown at it, but very happy to be proven wrong on that one.

• Like 1