Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing how alternators seem to be a pretty decent drag on the engine, can you program an output on your ecu to turn off the alternator above 90% throttle and 3000 rpm?

Would be interesting to see if it makes a measurable difference on your virtual dyno

• Like 6

On 11/09/2022 at 23:15, Roman said:

However, looking at the logs from the drags, my voltage drops by quite a lot with high rpm anyway.

Maybe it's alternator rpm based reduction, maybe its belt slip, maybe it's Maybelline?

image.thumb.png.dc55e5dc68f1d486b0ed30c68bcb7cff.png

Maybe it's just electrical load. Your injectors and coils would be working hard as rpms rise, and there is only .6v difference.

At 6:20 the voltage jumps straight up as soon as the load drops.

• Thanks 1

depends where the ecu is feed from also, quite common to get volt drop if wiring not up to it.   likely find if measure at alternator, will be holding stable

I'll try disconnect alternator next time have something on dyno

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a scheme for making a semi automated bench but I got a bit stuck with needing way gruntier fans to pull enough air. 
Which then meant I would need a much stronger housing and the whole thing would become big and complicated, aaaaand I ran out of effort.
Still want to make one though, one day.
A lot of the modern DIY ones use a MAF because it's an incredibly better way to go about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1