Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Cant say if will help in your scenario. 

But when we were left a car to fix and it had the old mag/wheel lock nut and the owner didn't leave/have the key, we loosened all the other nuts on the rim. And then retightened them extra tight.

This would sometimes  (about 60/40) make the lock nut become loose and allow you to remove it with pliers/socket/or even fingers?

Or once i just found a drill bit approx stud sized and drilled the stud through the wheel nut.

When the nut fell off etc i removed the wheel, cleaned up the stud and knocked it out and replaced it 

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheel studs won't be super hard, if they were they'd fatigue too easy and snap, HSS without excessive rake will drill 12.9 with plenty of cutting fluid if you take your time.

In saying that, brute force might be satisfying considering it's been a c^&t already.

Have you tried putting normal nuts on the remaining studs nice and tight? that can help reduce the load on a single nut when they're tight.

• Like 1

Will go buy some new decent Eva cut bits in the morning and give drilling another try.

There's no way I could have got the others tighter, seriously I was bouncing on the bar with all my weight to undo any of the front nuts!

Brute force while it didn't work out/turned the nut to mush was damn satisfying after pulling the wheel/hub/caliper off and coping a face full of brake fluid!!

Should have just bit the bullet and brought a couple new tyres rather than rotate them, then it would have been the shops problem haha.

On a side note, 235/60 is way too big for a 6j rim imo, chews out the outer edges pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, Raizer said:

Will go buy some new decent Eva cut bits in the morning and give drilling another try.

Brute force while it didn't work out was damn satisfying after pulling the wheel/hub/caliper off and coping a face full of brake fluid!!

Should have just bit the bullet and brought a couple new tyres rather than rotate them, then it would have been the shops problem haha.

On a side note, 235/60 is way too big for a 6j rim imo, chews out the outer edges pretty bad.

put the remaining nuts back like nothing happened and drop off for a new super cat?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Firetruck said:

If you're pro enough ya can blast the stud out without damaging the wheel, but the heat will most likely still stuff the finish. 

i wonder if you could heat it with a tig torch and sneak in beside with an "already in cut mode" gas axe

• Like 1

Nice work.

I cant remember the brand drills i have.

They're pretty old (20-30yrs old) but it seems the older drills seem to be better/harder than some of the new ones?

Did you use cutting fluid/spray? Helps alot but messy.

I was talking about drill bits with a mate of mine and he said a similar thing to 8-ball. 

HE also noted that often it is only the very end of the drill bit that is hardened. HE has almost given up trying to sharpen dulled bits. HE said he can do it 2-3 times max and they will no longer hold the edge. HE is comparing them to old bits that he has sharpened down to nubs with out hardness issues. 

He also says a similar thing about the tap and die sets he has brought in recent years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, igor said:

That'd be right. Not meant to resharpen tools nowadays. Bastards expect you to buy new stuff every time something gets blunt.

But i blunt a drill bit in 5 minutes.  Why in this day and age they'd want people to throw away drill bits rather than make them properly to save materials, energy and stop penguins and world of warcraft widows from dying or whatever the latest political correct thing is i don't know.  And what happens to all the recycled steel?  We sort it in mild, hardened ect here but when it gets to china they throw it in a pot and make something foamy and light that rusts quickly anyway...

• Like 3

Huh? In this day and age in a classic capitalist crisis of under-consumption throwing that drill is exactly what they want, or more accurately need you to do. Everything is fucked correct, tighten your seatbelts kids when reality catches up to us shit gunna get real in a fuck i hope these potatoes grow kinda way/hedge-hopefully not