Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

On 6/27/2017 at 17:27, flyingbrick said:

Talk to an engine shop and just get a quote. I'd be surprised if it's much cheaper than getting a new shaft. 

I can't think of a normal shop that would even want to take on the job.. could turn into a bastard very quickly. 

Will report back, Mazda say they went NLA last year DOH, snaffle up good 12a shafts when you see them /future classic

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plates were sulphated so I put a tea spoon of epson salts into each cell and it broke it down straight away, silicone the top back on and gave it a boost charge and its now at 12.9v, I don't have a load tester but I gess it should maintain at least 12v with the headlights on for a bit?      

• Like 3

Ok  im going to ask questions regarding charging systems with out actually checking anything with a multi meter to confirm anything. 

So. Whats going on. My 2jz crown alternator squels the belt when the lights are on, and if I also turn the heater on the lights dim briefly.  

Combined with this since I wired it to replace the external reg the alternator light doesn't work.  I originally replaced the rectifier as it was drawing amps with ignition off.

So chances of my alternator being junk seems pretty high?  

Next time im at lock up I will chucjk a multi meter on there and see what's actually going on.

Belt squel tho is so fucking embarrassing. 

48 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Ok  im going to ask questions regarding charging systems with out actually checking anything with a multi meter to confirm anything. 

So. Whats going on. My 2jz crown alternator squels the belt when the lights are on, and if I also turn the heater on the lights dim briefly.  

Combined with this since I wired it to replace the external reg the alternator light doesn't work.  I originally replaced the rectifier as it was drawing amps with ignition off.

So chances of my alternator being junk seems pretty high?  

Next time im at lock up I will chucjk a multi meter on there and see what's actually going on.

Belt squel tho is so fucking embarrassing. 

We had a weird power issue with my and then Keegan's MS110, turns out the belt was just doing silent burnouts on the alternator pulley. Didn't even realise it was doing it until we smelled the burning rubber fragrance, and the pulley was burning hot.

So if ya got the squeals, it's likely your alternator isn't spinning as fast as it wants to.

Well I recently went to a shorter belt to try increase tension. Im running deleted power steering and aircon so there is a bit of wizardy going on.  Will run and check how hot the belt is actually getting.  However still concerned about the no charge light. Wondering if the sense side of the alternator isn't working correctly. ... thanks for tips dudes!

5 hours ago, Firetruck said:

We had a weird power issue with my and then Keegan's MS110, turns out the belt was just doing silent burnouts on the alternator pulley. Didn't even realise it was doing it until we smelled the burning rubber fragrance, and the pulley was burning hot.

So if ya got the squeals, it's likely your alternator isn't spinning as fast as it wants to.

Of a bit but in the same vein, had a Mack a couple years back that had a cooling issue. The customer diagnosed as a failed fan hub, so I delivered that, no go. Lost their shit at having a brand new part fail, so I got that one back and supplied another. Same issue, so they paid a callout ( I didn't log getting the parts a callout because this guy was vip customer).

So I went out and hooked up laptop, at idle and disengaged the fan was happy as, up to high idle and engage and it actually dropped rpm. 

Stopped and checked the rib belt. It was that fucked and old that it was just slipping with no symptoms, unless you actually checked the belt, it was that cracked and glazed I'm surprised it didn't just fly off.

So those rib belts can just get that nuked they just slip with no noise or smell.

Where to buy ball joint boot retainer things? Got a new pitman boot (Mazda still supply!) Didnt come with the retainer things that hold it into its groove, can you buy these seperately? I did google but may not have the right term

I was talking to an old timer who sed if you want to un seize and engine that is relay stuck with pistons corroded into the bores you use milk, pore it in and leave it to it starts to stink.

Boat engine re builders use this trick when an engine gets submerged

• Like 1