Jump to content

flyingbrick

Members
  • Posts

    10,939
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

flyingbrick last won the day on March 15 2013

flyingbrick had the most liked content!

About flyingbrick

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Converted

  • Local Area
    Waikato

Recent Profile Visitors

3,388 profile views

flyingbrick's Achievements

Committed

Committed (5/5)

9.6k

Reputation

  1. When I actually looked- turned out kims one just unscrewed too! I topped it up with distilled water- but yeah didnt really seem like it was filling the other cells at the same time. I think I'll try harder to get the cover off.
  2. I am still playing with @Kimjons battery. The Bluetooth battery monitor logging is brilliant. I thought my desulphation charger thing only had a set voltage but turns out it alternates up and down for some reason. It is getting better, managed to actually run a discharge cycle on it yesterday.
  3. I guess you could drill holes in the top- big enough to check level and fill but small enough to seal with Hot glue.
  4. I'm running 4000w of heater off a multi plug in our garage- doesn't even get warm Edit. The heaters get warm... the plug/socket does not.
  5. @NickJ that is a brilliant idea! Do the cells all join at the top? EG if I fill up one will it top up the rest? Also, worth shaking it up first and checking the specific gravity of the electrolyte? (I think thats a thing?) IF you know more about this than you are letting on, you should definitely share
  6. I find battery tech quite interesting for a multitude of reasons. We all have this physical item made out of basic and identifiable materials which is expensive to purchase and costly (to the planet) to recycle- yet repair is largely out of the question. It shouldn't be because a lead acid battery is incredibly basic! @Kimjons battery bugs me. I can charge it to over 14v (Using bluetooth battery monitor to log voltages is amazing) but then the instant you apply any load it drops to below 12v. The float/indicator is red even at full charge which could simply mean that one or more cells is low on electrolyte- but the battery has a firmly glued down cover which does a pretty good job of preventing any level checks or top ups (without making it look like its been butchered) TLDR: battery companies go out of their way to ensure these things aren't serviceable. Bastards. With that said, have had a few good wins with the desulphater (Validated by load testing down to 12.2v and measuring capacity).
  7. Just pop down to the closest machine shop and ask for a price. You might be surprised by how cheap it is.
  8. lol, as soon as i saw that my mind just assumed that the smudged word was SHIT
  9. Thanks bro, same address u came to last time plz
  10. None I was just being cheeky when I saw u guys at it
  11. I know you bid against Kim and then me ha
  12. haha yes the problem is that you only get a small amount of desulphation before it starts to boil and you need to wait for it to cool off- but it will definitely help.
  13. So just an FYI for anyone who cares to follow along The Old busa battery is now up to 4.5Ah of capacity when doing the discharge test at 4watts down to a cut off voltage of 12.1v. Thats obviously a huge increase from the originally tested .4Ah and has taken around a week and about 2 minutes every night to switch alligator clips around. I *THINK* that optimum capacity would be around 6Ah if doing this test on the battery when new, but I really do not know what voltage the factory tests down to when specifying capacities. Regardless- If i hadn't bought a new battery this one would be totally usable now- Thankfully it will have a good home in my lawn mower To make the battery more usable I've been running an AliExpress desulphator circuit on it- Basically, it feeds the battery a high voltage pulse (From 0v to around 22v I think). The High voltage pushes energy through the sulphate crystals and knocks them off the lead plates- the pulse stops the battery from overheating as actual amps in is very low. Theres people on YT saying you don't need to bother with that and they jam on some high voltage DC and carefully monitor amps and temperature- but thats too much admin for me- the pulse circuit is simply set and forget. Routine: connect pulse circuit to battery for 24hrs. run capacity test for 24 hrs (I just check it each night, no idea how long its sitting idle for once it finishes) repeat steps 1 and 2 until capacity stops increasing. In my case the first capacity test was .4Ah, then 1.5Ah, then 3Ah, then 4.4Ah, then 4.5Ah, so its obviously as good as its going to get, time to move on to the next one.
×
×
  • Create New...