Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.. start your weld in the very middle of the hole and then work it ouwards till it's slightly proud. Sometimes easier said than done- an 8mm hope should make it reasonably easy- iv tried smaller and it's been a cunt to consistently catch the back skin properly (the wire/src sometimes wants to go to the edges of the hole rather than the back skin)

3 hours ago, tortron said:

yeah, but il still have a 8mm ish hole in the other skin is what I mean. just plug it full when rejoining?

I've had to spot, spot, spot each hole with a MIG (then used an actual spot welder) but then again i don't do that many unibodies....  It's not pretty AFAIK.

Re: alternator.  Looks like yozwer was on the money lol.

Moddied 1uz alternator and fitted.  Was excited to see the charge light come up on the dash. Started car and everything seemed legit.  Until it warmed up abd the idle dropped.  Same situation.  Squels wgen applying revs. Had a revelation.  What if I try applying some extra tension to the tensioner,  so stuck my long 14mm spanner on the tensioner bolt and with only the slightest amount of tension applied the issue went away. Noticed the pulley on the alternator is smaller also, so belt doesn't have the same amount of tension as before. 

Going to try a shorter belt. Cross my fingers.  Other wise its try apply more tension. Or puzzle together an idler setup andvre route the belt like it should be.

• Like 1

Yeah I am aware I have very much removed a lot of the wrap around the crank pulley running it the way I have.  But im also not the only person running it this way.  Seriously the amount of pressure to stop the belt slip was so minor.  But yeah looks like a 2jz gillies setup is about 700  to 1000 ñz made lol

If shorter belt doesn't solve my issues,  will remove tensioner and see if I can some how increase the pressure.  Otherwise see if I can add a way via a turn buckle or something to increase pressure.  

Science

Can someone tell me why every diesel doesnt have egr deleted or blocked as soon as the car is purchased? I chucked a plate in a peugeot the other day without ever having considered what the egr does, but it just seems so terrible for everything in the engine and really does nothing to help it. The only reason to keep it would be so you can pass WOF's in exhaust testing countries?

• Like 1