Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered an item from the states via youshop, i paid for the slow option and its been 10 days since i left the US. Its sitting in NZ, and in NZ for 5 of them. Its still sitting at the depot in Kaiwharawhara waiting for delivery. NZPost is useless, but its a decent option.

Its really good for shipping small items.

Last night in the shed on the dirt floor I could strike an arc with the arc welder on any metal object with out the earth clamp even being on it, even the vice and a metal hook attached to a wooden pole, it wasn't a usable arc but it was strange. 

• Like 4

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:06, Seedy Al said:

Possibly.  I did have a look yesterday.  I have never used you shop so I don't know what delivery times are usually like

Youshop is all good. as said can be a little slower but it varies wildly like most oversea shipping. It is a little more work since you have to check in when it arrives at their usa warehouse and input the item value and tell them to send it on. you need to check generally esp with summit, often the cheaper summit shipping is the same cost as youshop and it just turns up. but other times summit sends you a giant box of American air.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Transom said:

Ordered 2  throttle arms from speedway motors USA - about  the size of a marker pen each

arrived in a box about the size of a dozen cans full of USA bagged air ... Lucky their shipping was cheap 

I got a voltage regulator from speedway and it came it a box big enough to fir a 10 liter petrol can in and the rest was bags of USA air.

• Like 1

Here's a question

on a flat Tappet engine, if you fit a fully hektik race cam, they say to break the cam in on stock valve springs/only run the outers if you have nice new doubles.  On like a Datsun A series, it's not a hard job to swap them after the cam is broken in.

But how about on an Ohc motor like say a CA18, or an RFB (de/det obviously)  if you fit monster cams, you're obviously gonna Rev the clacker off it. Requiring uprated valve springs.  How do engines such as this go? It's pretty much a head off job to swap the valve springs on one of those motors.

@BobbyBreeze?

On 3 August 2017 at 08:24, Testament said:

sorry cant help there ^

can only add another silly question

anyone know of people/companies good at making sweet coiled tube things?  looking to make some heilical coils of 1/2" stainless tubing to a designed pitch and length

We get pretty much that cnc bent by autobend, always comes out pretty good.

On 1 August 2017 at 17:17, Steelies said:

hey yall, anyone know any centreless grinders in NZ that can do engineering plastics to slick tolerances?

Grinding plastic and high tollerance? not something heard often, that has me interested to hear more about