Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

There are a few reasons why you guys may be having drill issues these days.

Eg, today you can buy extremely powerful battery powered tools that can spin a drillbit way too quickly. You can also have the ability to buy cheap Chinese junk that probably didn't exist in the olden days.

You get what you pay for! Same with taps...a $100 set that covers every size is going to be crap compared to a single $25 tap of reputable make.

If all else fails then maybe you just suck at sharpening drill bits.

• Like 7

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to agree with Nathan, but he's right to a point. I often find I can drill a hole quicker by pulsing the trigger. 

And that is the very reason why u haven't bought a cheap set of taps and dies. Cheap nasty ones cut awful threads too. 

• Like 1

I sometimes use a brace with a twist bit to drill steel thereby ensuring a slow speed that will not burn out the bit. Did a bit of track laying on a museum railway once too. We drilled the fishplate bolt holes with the same hand tool technology that would have been used in the 19th century. Pretty sure the tools we were using were older than all of us including the retired guy who knew what to do.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Eg, today you can buy extremely powerful battery powered tools that can spin a drillbit way too quickly. You can also have the ability to buy cheap Chinese junk that probably didn't exist in the olden days.

You get what you pay for! Same with taps...a $100 set that covers every size is going to be crap compared to a single $25 tap of reputable make.

Best thing I ever got beaten into me as a young fella was speeds and feeds + how to sharpen a drill bit, the second of which is a true art.

• Like 3

Cutting fluid.

Dont forget to use it. Makes a big difference. 

But nah even the "expensive" drill bits aren't as good as the old stuff.

Its like something they used to add to the steel (or didn't add??) Was deemed unhealthy? So they stopped or something and now the steel isn't as hard/good.

Had a $50 drill bit (a single bit) and after about 6 or 7 cuts it was virtually dead. Cutting fluid and correct speed used. Was in a drill press, so no weird side loads/angles during drilling either.

After a resharpen it was ok for 2 cuts before needing another sharpen.. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

it's all a consumer conspiracy.

i'm yet to come across a home garage spec chinese drill press that runs at slow enough speeds to not overheat drill bits, thus leading the DIYer into fits of rage having to replace drillbits all the time. whereas the old Dyco drillpress i have, can even make round holes with cheap chinese drillbits

• Like 3

yeh, if you make more heat than you can remove by heating coolant or give it less time than it takes for the material to move it, then shit starts getting hot and science happens.

also i noticed drills (evacut in my case) are usually supplied as bright finish or that LV Martin gold coating malarky. I've always used the black jet ones, there's a set at my old work that i got in 2006ish, most are still original and still in (ab)use, they seem to sharpen up fine.

• Like 1

Fucking brand new BMG cambelt tensioner with less that 2,000 kms on it has started screaming and belt is not in the center of the pulley anymore.

Fucking rubber cooling system seals didn't last more than 6 months and are not 3 times the size they use to be.

• Like 1