Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What steel are wheel studs, guessing something super hard?

Some monkey used trailer wheel nuts on 1 of my vans front wheels and they're so deep in the wheel a socket only engaged half the nut, they managed to tighten them to the point I snapped a wheel socket undoing them FFS.

Anyway I rounded off the last nut, have been trying to drill the stud but just keep either instantly dulling HSS bits or snapping them.

Carbide bit the way to go?

Heading to Auckland Saturday and would rather like to have 5 studs/nuts instead of 4 and a cold chiseled mess haha.

Had that thought earlier, I managed* to get the hub off complete with wheel and brake caliper, but it turns out to get to the back of the studs you have to unbolt the rotor from the hub and to get to the rotor bolts the wheel needs to come off.

*I say managed as the grease cap from the hub was bigger than the centre hole of the wheel.

My plan is/was to drill through the stud until its weak enough to snap off, but I've chewed through every drill bit I had on it already and barely made a hole in the stud.

Tried drilling the nut, that seemed to go ok at first, bit of cold chiseling and it looks like there's fuck all nut left but it won't budge at all.

My wheels are meant to have this style nut 

z1splinedlignutsclosed-b8731902_(1)ddd_L

Instead one wheel had these

conical-wheel-nut-m16-size-574010-p9794-

And with the taper of the holes a tube socket only engaged maybe 3mm, didn't help that all front nuts were super stupidly tight (I had to stand on a 4' power bar to get them to crack)

I spent hours with a narrow cold chisel that just fitted between the wheel and stud, but the nut wouldn't split it just mushed up into the taper.

Yeah I'm well past that stage, 13/16 fitted tight but it still could only engage a couple mm due to the taper of the recess and the nut just rounded off more.

I'm not joking about how tight the front wheels were either, I split 2 21mm wheel sockets today getting the other nuts off off.

6 minutes ago, Firetruck said:

How competent are you with a gas axe? 

Never used one, but I'm keen to try lol

Worst case scenario ATM is I get someone to hit it with a gas axe/9" grinder and I'll chuck a couple of the Altezza's wheels on the front for the weekend.

• Like 1