Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, go a wee problem with my supercheap sandblaster, it must have a leak somewhere, when you pull the trigger it starts blasting but quickly is just air coming out no media. Nothing seems blocked, I even took the media pick up hose off, filled up a small pot of sand and stuck the gun directly in, still the same. Any thoughts before I chuck it out and buy another?

Block the nozzle and pull trigger to blow all the shit back out the pickup

whenever ive used those little cabinet blasters you have to do this every like 20 seconds, once we tried messing with diffirent garnet and guns with no success and just put up with it. must be missing the magic.

whenever ive used those little cabinet blasters you have to do this every like 20 seconds, once we tried messing with diffirent garnet and guns with no success and just put up with it. must be missing the magic.

Yup same as one i used to use such a pain. Found a water trap helped slightly but usually just put up with it.

Anyone had success with casting engine mounts outa sikaflex or similar?

cast the odd bits and pieces out of 2 part silicone and 'craft' some things from hi-temp gasket poo type stuff here at work. one little nick and you can tear the whole lot apart no matter how big the chunk is. very much nothing like rubber at all.

So I'm planning to give some leaf springs a spruce up.

Sand up and paint.

But I'm also going to grease between the leaves to reduce stiction.

What kind of grease Is best for This?

I currently have tac2 and wheel bearing grease

I once saw an antique racecar with leather sheaths sewn over the front leaves to keep tje grease in.

So I'm planning to give some leaf springs a spruce up.

Sand up and paint.

But I'm also going to grease between the leaves to reduce stiction.

What kind of grease Is best for This?

I currently have tac2 and wheel bearing grease

I once saw an antique racecar with leather sheaths sewn over the front leaves to keep tje grease in.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-Spring-Liner-with-Lip-1-3-4-Inch,2079.html

• Like 1

So I'm looking at having a diff narrowed and have a question about spline engagement.

Axles have about 45mm of spline on them and have about 28mm of engagement currently (shaft diameter is about the same), I'm looking at shortening each one by a max of 25mm so am looking at options for shortening the axle, one obviously being cutting some off the end. I may only need to take 20mm off but if I was to take 25 off would the remaining spline left to engage be adequate? 

Main thing is to make sure they engage in the right place. I made the mistake of cutting down my axles a little too much. They had plenty of spline engaged, but didn't quite make it into the thick part of the side gear.  This happened:

dsc02093s.jpg

Otherwise, the trd diff center that replaced this only has 20mm of spline available.   so you should be good with around 20mm of spline.     This is on a hilux diff

• Like 3