Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(repeat from buy/sell/other, slightly a bit urgent)

WTB/borrow, smart drive motor (narrow tubular type with pulley), Chch

Will be handy for a test set. Eco shop normally have them, but they only have the flat kind right now. Will buy/bribe etc as req'd.

Ta

how long should a motorcycle front brake take to bleed? been at it for hours, gone through prolly 3 cylinders worth of fluid with no improvement in pressure. clean, air free fluid coming out the bleeder each time. spent a good hour last night, then another 30 odd mins this morning with no improvement. 

doing the old hows ya father hold lever in, crack bleeder, lever goes all the way to throttle, tighten bleeder and release the brakes. making no difference after hours of bleeding. 

is there a better technique to it? i feel like there's an air leak somewhere in the brakes, but cant identify anything unusual. your 2 cents please

• Like 1

Sounds like the piston is pushing out against the pad, but the seal is grabbing on the piston.

If you have all the air out, go for a ride and hold a finger on the brake lever to get some heat in it. Give it a few pumps once it's hot and you should be right.

• Like 1

Sounds like the piston is pushing out against the pad, but the seal is grabbing on the piston.

If you have all the air out, go for a ride and hold a finger on the brake lever to get some heat in it. Give it a few pumps once it's hot and you should be right.

took it for a solid 5 minutes with the brake in, pulled over and pumped a few times and felt good. as soon as i would ride off and hit brakes again they were back to being pooze. time for a new seal?

Get a big syringe from the chemist/vet/Ky, use it to push fluid up from the caliper.

I couldn't get my Let's to bleed for ages, filled a syringe with fluid and yeah first push of the plunger a lot of tiny bubbles came out of the return hole in the reservoir and the lever firmed up.

That's the other thing to check, the tiny return hole in the master can block up and if it has you won't get it bled in a hurry.

• Like 1

I need a new piece of hose in my PS system, connecting the reservoir to the pump.

Stopped at BNT today and asked for something to suit (3/4" or 19mm).

They went out the back and sold me 0.5m of something black.

Went to fit it just now and realised that its Dayco heater hose which is (naturally enough) not rated for oil contact. Grrr.

Any idea where I can get something useable?

I've been to a Hydraulink place before, but they sold me some high-pressure steel reinforced hose which is a bitch the seal up to the nipples.

• Like 1