Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mitsi is starting to smoke like, well a Mitsi...

But it's not constant, I notice a couple puffs of blue smoke in the mirror for just the first block or 3 some mornings especially if I've got the trailer loaded up, then it clears up (or at least clears to the point I don't spot it in my mirror anyway).

And today I noticed a LOT of blue smoke during downhill overrun, holding 2nd without touching the gas = a constant stream of typical old Mitsi smoke clouds out the back, but it was clearing up pretty much the instant I cracked the throttle.

I know both those symptoms normally point to valve stem seals, but I fitted all new seals only a couple months back, which really helped the morning smoke show clear up.

Reckon it could be the breather/PCV set up?

I'm not yet thinking rings as in my past Mitsi experiences rings = constant smoke, major oil consumption and eventually rods coming out the side of the block.

Edit: thinking about it more, I'm going to try disconnecting the PCV from the intake, since it's happening with the throttle fully closed I'm guessing the vacuum maybe enough to suck oil past the old likely worn out PCV valve.

Before anyone suggests it, burning the van and walking away is not an option!     Unless someone wants to swap a LWB Hiace Custom for my Altezza haha

All the smokey engines I've done have been from caked up oil control rings no longer controlling oil. If you give it a diet of engine flush and diesel oil it can help to free the rings up, if that's the issue. If they're too chocka-block with carbon then you're pretty stuffed really.

Maybe new lines too if you are rocking the old OG factory ones, can just get new standard ones made if you don't go for braided.

Anyone recommend a place for this, with lowered forks and clamp ons my hoses are about 100mm too long now, found a few places that do braided but bit expensive/it ain't no racer,

All the smokey engines I've done have been from caked up oil control rings no longer controlling oil. If you give it a diet of engine flush and diesel oil it can help to free the rings up, if that's the issue. If they're too chocka-block with carbon then you're pretty stuffed really.

Disconnected the PVC and plugged the hose to the inlet.

Has made an instant drastic improvement!

Smoke is all but gone, so a decent flush and some diesel oil is on the menu.

But yeah no big stream of smoke, starts easier (have been having to crank and crank it) and if I'm not imagining it it's not pinking anywhere near as bad.

Anyone recommend a place for this, with lowered forks and clamp ons my hoses are about 100mm too long now, found a few places that do braided but bit expensive/it ain't no racer,

I go to ABC on Martin Square in town due to being nearby. Have used them for the exact same reason as you.

• Like 1

What solution for centering a leaf sprung live axle do you think I can get away with?

Currently my diff sits about 15mm off centre to the left

Was considering a panhard rod but I don't know if there will be room

There is sway bar on the front side too

uk4FGEh.jpg

FJi3zr5.jpg

Why is it off centre, 15mm seems a lot.

- bent springs?

- bent car?

- mounts wrong on diff?

No idea tbh

I'll get under again and have a measure up,

Some new bushes first wouldn't go amiss and I know one of the leaf mounting bolts is seized

No idea tbh

I'll get under again and have a measure up,

Some new bushes first wouldn't go amiss and I know one of the leaf mounting bolts is seized

When you pull the diff, have a fuck about with the springs. Try change side to side, see if they hang on the piss. Might be able to correct it a bit.