For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

No doubt been covered before. I cant find using search.

With my twin cam conversion, will I need to install a driveshaft hoop?

I know with any engine swap you need one but in theory, my engine is basically the same but instead of SOHC Carburetor its DOHC Injected.

I have a feeling you still need a hoop.

• if it makes 50% or more power than the factory engine (either a modfied factory engine or a substitute one)
  • if you have modified the driveshaft
  • any time a turbo or supercharger is fitted

then you will need to fit a loop/2 if it has a 2piece shaft

• these bullet point things make me look a lot smarter than i am

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain you cannot use GPS speedometers. It's more the mileage side of things that is a concern, I believe.

yarr. Because of the vast network of tunnels new zealand has, gps speedos are a no go.

its a bummer, because getting a speedo working accurately can be one of the trickiest/more expensive parts of a conversion.

Auto 1uz soarer converted to manual will need a cert, yes? There's no way around it any way by using only standard parts etc?

technically, yes, because you cant bolt it in using factory parts.

you may get away with it if you can make it look factory, the bellhousing is the only non factory bit you would have to use from memory

• if it makes 50% or more power than the factory engine (either a modfied factory engine or a substitute one)

Thanks for that Cletus

50% eh? That might just get me thru a cert without one.

Clint, how does this work in respect of:

Going from twin turbo to single turbo?

and

I'm currently running only 30% more power over factory, but with tuning could potentially make around 60% once tuned - how does this effect the requirements?

Almost same question as Mike.

What if the car is turbo standard, But now has a bigger turbo and intercooler, no chance of it being over 50% more ponies..

Does it still need a pair of loop?

pretty sure its still certification required for non factory turbo and any performance based certification requires a driveshaft loop.

This is my fav thread purely for the amount of knowledge and the questions being asked

but seriously kiddies dont be like Hemi and just not give a shit.

I got away with it , you might not.

Always blow on the pie

safer communities together.

• Like 1

How structural and part of the effective crumple zone is the top half of the very front pannel on a car- the sheet metal that holds the headlights, top radiator mounts and bonnet catch.

Can this be replaced with a bolt in section to allow easier motor removal?

Thinking just a piece of rhs along the top with brackets for lights and latch etc on it.

How structural and part of the effective crumple zone is the top half of the very front pannel on a car- the sheet metal that holds the headlights, top radiator mounts and bonnet catch.

Can this be replaced with a bolt in section to allow easier motor removal?

Thinking just a piece of rhs along the top with brackets for lights and latch etc on it.

There's a recent answer on the LVVTA forum on this

In general, for an older vehicle not designed with frontal impact in mind, the modification needs to be structurally sound and present no danger to pedestrians (no sharp edges etc. this applies to the bonnet pins too).

For more modern cars with airbags and deformable front ends, you need to be a bit more careful. You cannot remove any structural parts or alter areas intended to crush on impact or close to any frontal impact sensors. If you do alter any other parts you need to retain the same strength as the vehicle had before.

http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=279