For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so my work mate is looking at another car from a family friend with hand controls added... he was told that if you remove the hand controls, you need to re-cert it. this blows my mind... any ideas? he says the standard foot controls are still there also so from what he's told me, it should just be the case of unbolting some add-ons and do b-outs

The car has been certified in the condition it was modified to (with disability controls) making that new condition the "baseline".

Taking the controls out modifies it from it's baseline condition (albeit reset) and even though it's removing things, not adding them - it is still a modification..

There are also things to consider that MAY have been modified when going to hand controls - for instance holes drilled into the brake pedal arm.

A leg being a lot stronger than an arm would now put a lot more force through that brake arm and that hole could be a potenital weakspot between the new point of force (the pedal pad) and the fulcrum.

• Like 1

so even if they have the mounting points in there, can I remove the belts and run nothing? and what about the back seat in a 4dr, are you allowed to remove it for extra tool box space etc?, put a peice of ply in there all nice with carpet and a 12" sub or something? When my front seats are fully retracted back i think they'l be no room for anyone in the back anyways/toolboxes

yes you can remove seats, you dont need to cert it either.

• Like 1

you can contact LVVTA direct and pay 50bux and they will send you a print out of the exact mods paper list for everything done to the car at the time of certing. Itl cover stuff that is not factory whether it needs a cert or not (at least mine did) . I got one for my last car as everything wasnt on the plate an i didnt have the papers.

I have a feeling that when you do it like that you don't even need to. In anycase you don't need to get anything xrayed, they use DPI, or MPI testing.

if you go by the absolute letter of the law, any mods to suspension parts like that should be tig welded and crack tested.

However, i have certed quite a few struts modified as per the link ie just a sleeve welded on to the original strut, and ive never had one knocked back by LVVTA. IMO the weld in that situation does not have a lot of load on it for the size of the weld, so its not super critical, as opposed to a strut welded at the base which has steering/braking forces and weight bearing on the welded join

• Like 1

as far as removing stuff that has been certed, it depends on what it is. if the car is returned to OE a certifier can check the car is oe, remove the plate, send it back to LVVTA who remove the modification off the NZTA database.

i met Petra Bagust once cause i had to take a cert plate off one of her cars.

BETTER WORK STORIES

• Like 2

There are also things to consider that MAY have been modified when going to hand controls - for instance holes drilled into the brake pedal arm.

A leg being a lot stronger than an arm would now put a lot more force through that brake arm and that hole could be a potenital weakspot between the new point of force (the pedal pad) and the fulcrum.

That is te reason te certifier has to check and make sure it has been returned to original correctly, sometimes the vehicle does need to be re certed for other remaining modifications

as far as removing stuff that has been certed, it depends on what it is. if the car is returned to OE a certifier can check the car is oe, remove the plate, send it back to LVVTA who remove the modification off the NZTA database.

i met Petra Bagust once cause i had to take a cert plate off one of her cars.

BETTER WORK STORIES

she is actually really tall, i saw her too once dropping a car off to gitrap toyota bakindadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to get my muffler welded today, left my car at the garage for the day, told them to ring me if nothing goes as expected as i get screwed around and overcharged regularly. Get back to my car and he just put a new pipe on, not even the muffler, said he couldnt weld it. Then gave me a WOF. Now i sound like a 17yo boy with honda. this legal? lol

• Like 1

No doubt been covered before. I cant find using search.

With my twin cam conversion, will I need to install a driveshaft hoop?

I know with any engine swap you need one but in theory, my engine is basically the same but instead of SOHC Carburetor its DOHC Injected.

I have a feeling you still need a hoop.