For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have an MSNZ rollcage and accompanying authority card its no problem to get a wof, what is the story if it is a NZDRA spec cage? I can't seem to find any info if you can be road legal with one? I'm thinking it must be possible? or is it just that the drag guys just get their mates to give them mail in wofs ?

Its a similar deal as with msnz.

You get a log book with your nzdra tech inspection. And you send this to someone (I can't recall if it's NZDRA or what) and get a similar or same thing to the motorsport autharity card that you'd rock with msnz.

From memory, you need to have two meets in your logbook, but I've seen guys get manz ones for freshly built cars that have never done an event yet.

• Like 1

Hi there, long time looker, not much of a poster. Just got a couple of questions to do with custom made suspension arms. I'm building a McRae Porsche 550 that has had custom made double wishbone arms made for it instead of the original vw swingarm setup. The work looks of very high quality and was told years ago that it was done by a McRae workshop tech, who is now long dead. That's the reason the car has been sitting untouched for a long time. Trouble is according to the hobby car manual it says that the arms have to be tig welded. Mine are all mig'd. Maybe the rules had changed from all those years ago? I have no dought of the strength and quality of the work, but it's not to the rules. To throw a spanner in the works I see you can buy all kinds of custom suspension arms on the likes of trademe etc, I suppose a lot made in china, that are all mig'd. (Some of them look very questionable!) how do these arms get through a cert etc?

Any advice would be a great help. Cheers.

would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of the hobby car manual, and get in touch with a 1D category certifier. you MIGHT be able to use the arms you have if you can prove the car was built before the current rules,( im not up with the play 100% with this stuff as i cant do scratchbuilt vehicles yet)

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/CertifierList-Website.pdf <list of certifiers

would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of the hobby car manual, and get in touch with a 1D category certifier. you MIGHT be able to use the arms you have if you can prove the car was built before the current rules,( im not up with the play 100% with this stuff as i cant do scratchbuilt vehicles yet)

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/CertifierList-Website.pdf <list of certifiers

Ya, thanks for the reply. I have the hobby car manual, that's the reason I'm pissed because it says it has to be tig'd. Funny thing I've just been to the field days here and talked to a very in the know welding rep. I explained the problem and he thought it was a joke. He explained to me that the basic er70 tig wire is the same as er70 mig wire and both methods will produce the same strength welds. He also added that a tig weld on a suspension arm would be approx half the thickness of a mig weld so would have less surface area joined by weld. Makes sense to me, but I'm sure the people that make the rules would be harder to convince.

Anyway I've just sand blasted the arms off to get a good look at the welds. They look great as expected. It would be a shame to go to all the trouble of grinding them off just to lay a tig over the top.

boom. been asked to death no doubt, i can't use the search on this forum anymore.

removing rear seats: if I remove belts and cap the holes (not with bolts... some grommets) am I legit without a cert? this used to be the case and interwebbing *seems* to agree with me. Still all good?

on the few posts up mentioned brakehose brackets: If I cannot get the right clips the hold the top of my rubber hose to the body am i also allowed to use cableties to keep them in check?

Am i right in thinking you can remove rear seats as long as you also remove the belts? Just wondering what i can take out in terms of weight reduction.

yes seats and belts can be removed without a cert.

cletus: what's the deal with seatbelt mounts. my car from factory has them mounted on top of the folded sheet metal sliding rails. read: flimsy.

I've got my own 4mm angle iron fixed rails. seatbelt buckle is mounted to that. the rest is standard. IMO, and the opinion of 3 wof guys previous, much stronger than factory (never had probs getting it wofd sans cert). would this go through cert or am I best adding some to the tunnel. if so, what's the regime for a plate and captive nut underneath the floorpan for this?

got a pic? if the angle iron is bolted to the original seat mounts, and the buckle is mounted straight to the angle iron, should be sweet if its in the right position ie not too far foward.

if need be the lvv standard is here- http://lvvta.org.nz/... ... orages.pdf

page 22 onwards for doubler plate requirements

mint. from the PDF link there I'm not rolling legit with the front seat stuff still, and the rear I'm fine.

choith.

was in a panic that rulings had changed hah

Have refitted factory front seats which have seatbelt buckle on the rail also. Will be fairly grumpy if the tell me the seats are flopping round like a cock in a shirtsleeve though! they're like that factory lolz. have checked all the pivot points and everywhere and the tiny amount off movement which would be there to stop them binding up al multiplies out to being horrific, as per usual :(

rofl. wof guy still isn't happy with the dealio on removing rear seat. Must be spaced out on shrooms and reading the rules from a different VIRM than I am! His boss was like, wtf, I thought it was all legit and done!?!?!? So fucked if I know.

VIRM, if you read one bit it says:

Note LVV certification is not required where the only modification is the removal of seats and/or seatbelts. However, a class change and a new load rating may be required in some cases.

But under seatbelts there's a table saying cars between 1/11/1979-31/12-1990 need 3 belts across the back and if you change that then you need LVV certification. I don't have a seat though so it's kind of invalid.

This concerns me as my 1972 crown gets wofs all the time with no rear belts. Same guy gave that a wof not thaaaat long ago, and gave my sis a wof in her mini recently which also has no belts.

Must've pissed him off by turning up in a car he can't jack up easily huh

SO I'm a bif miffed. He's happy for me to have no seat, but I need to have belts. WTF man. I don't want to push him any more than I have as I would like to get a wof by Friday with no more issues so I'll see if I still have the belts (highly unlikely) and chuck them in. Car doesn't have anchorage nor ever had a centre rear belt so he'll have to live with two. so weird!

rofl. His boss, whom is the guy that usually does my wofs, will likely be all good about it. may have to go see him tonight and get shit put straight. pretty annoyballz given it's rolled like that, and I've made sure I'm 99.9% legit, esp with this kind of thing in the past.

he doesn't want cert for battery in boot though. so weird!

pretty sure thats becasue the crown can pass as not having factory belts/pre 1979 or whatever the date is. thatl teach you for driving french

technically the pug should be allowed them too because of it's build date. I beleive it's 1990? and if you read into the 'technicalities' then all old cars post 1960reg should have rear belts too. god knows. It has had seat removed, and therefore the requirement for belts so meh.

cert before next wof I think!

Better off than Joe who needs full cert spec..

Anyhow who waits till a week before an event to WOF their car.. haha /everyone on OS...

totez.

Did joe fail on pug for cert? guts. For engine? rofls me when you go to the same guy with the same stuff done for ages and they suddenly ping ya for it!

The seatbelt laws dont seem to match the Wof rules. Pretty sure technically I dont need front belts in the Lincoln (1967) but everyone says I do.

Its got lap belts all round already so not really concerned, its just when it comes to replacing them (if they get frayed etc) then I think the rules if not OEM I need to put in 3 point belts which will be a mission.