For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Guest cletus

I recently had a strut out of my car.

Instead of shortening the insert, a steel tab has been welded to the spring cups to keep the springs captive. I've since become aquainted with the person who owned the car when it was certed. He said it failed on not being captive, so he added the tabs, and then passed.

Are these still legit?

i guess these would count as option "b"

Coil springs fitted to low volume vehicles

must be firmly

contained within their locating seats in such a way

that the

springs can not rotate, move vertically, or become

dislodged

when the suspension travel reaches its maximum rebo

und, limited

by either:

(a)

a shock absorber of a compatible stroke length; or

(B)

properly fastened retaining clamps; or

©

properly fastened wire-rope straps of the type used

in

motor-sport applications, provided that the suspens

ion

mounting points are sufficiently strong to withstan

d the

increased loadings imposed by the straps reaching t

he end

of their travel, particularly in the case of MacPhe

rson-strut

suspension systems

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cletus

ok I'm sure this has been covered a million times before

but I am starting to think about the cert on my crown

so a few questions.

It is using a factory gear box, so no moddied drive shafts, its power is 100 percent over factory

Am In the right understanding that I will need TWO drive shaft loops as it is a 2 piece drive shaft yep

Next question, wheels and spacers. I have 15 inch spacers on at the moment, that fit perfect over the hub, but have no locating rings for the wheels to sit on, Do I need to moddify these so that the wheel does fit on them? they were on there when I got the spacers, but I had them machined off, as for some reason they didnt work with my wheels 15 inch spacers, tu meke.

if they are 15mm, thats ok, wheel has to locate on the center spigot, this can be part of the spacer or if the spigot pokes out enough a centering ring in the wheel would be ok. spacers must be a single stud pattern, attached to the hub or wheel, make sure your studs are long enough as well

Third and final question. Fuel pump.

The fuel pump in my car comes on when the the key is sitched to igition through the ecu. Is this acceptable or can it only operate when the egine is cranking and running? I have not checked if it switches off then the motor is turned off tho yet. should be wired up as per factory, operates when engine running/cranking/stops when the engine does

Oh, and maybe another thing. I am most likley be going for a revin also. So, would I see the cert man first, let him check it over, get a list of stuff, fix it, then go for revin, then finalise cert? and if so can i do it longer than 28 days with the cert man?

this is how i tell people to do it if you think its not going to pass a cert first time

1. get a vin number assigned to vehicle from a vinz/vtnz type place, you will need to take the car there

2. get cert check

3. fix cert stuff, get plate

4. take to vtnz, get re reg check, pass

5. smug face time

if you already have a 17 digit vin you wont have to worry about step 1. vin number is the only thing a certifier needs, a lot of certifiers want a check sheet from a wof place but its not compulsory.

Guest Berjjj

If I have the original ownership/rego papers of the vehicle, is it possible to revert back to an old rego #? Will attempt to track down the plates but I'm assuming those had to be handed in back in the day as well, so surely they are able to be repressed?

Have had varying answers wherever I ask, some have told me the only way to go is a personalised plate, but even the website says no deal (not that I'm about to pay $600 or whatever it is).

Guest Rookie

Basically no, you can't. If you re-register the car and it still has the black plates on it then you can jump through a few hoops and keep them, otherwise you can't.

Guest Berjjj

Hmm, what if original plates were found and I could prove they belonged to that chassis #?

Is it worth contacting previous owners up the line, or am I wasting my time?

edit: yeah figured I couldn't get new ones in black, just keen on going back to original rego number.

Guest kyteler

I don't believe they'll let you do that.

The black plates are allowed to be utilised for cars still with them but needing re-registered. I.e. lapsed.

Guest Berjjj

That sounds pretty ridiculous (rings a bell though). So I'd cancel the rego and have to go through the revin process?

I may just be nuts enough to do this...

Guest jakesae101

just a quick question if i move my factory lower radiator mounting brackets to suit a new radiator and weld in some new brackets in for a intercooler on the lower radiator support do i need cert ?

Guest cletus

Front

-

mounted intercooler

T

he front structure of the vehicle has not been modified, and

the front bumper structure is unaltered (cosmetic changes are permitted), and

the components do not present any forward

-

facing

external projections, and

none of the frontal impact components have been removed where the vehicle is

required to comply with a frontal impact occupant protection standard

this is from the list of stuff you can do without a cert. the first bit is the bit that applies to you- about modifying the structure.

Are you doing other stuff that needs cert anyway?

Guest Brock-Lee

Drilling holes and shifting mounting points sounds exactly like modifying the structure to me.

Make some adaptor plates to mount to original mounting points or get a cert.

• Like 1

Guest CorollaGT

cletus - my car got certed a few years ago and included on that list was a brake upgrade. Im now looking at going to larger/better brakes again. Would that then require a full re-cert or is it posaible that it can be ammended like when getting another set of wheels added to the plate?