For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Short answer is no. 

Long answer is maybe, with a lot of fucking around. 

Lvvta has said you can make a new bar if you can prove it's the same as the original one. 

This is all we've been given, there's nothing in the rules yet, this is from training 

Screenshot_20240508-194714_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway i dont know what this AA guy is going on about - AA is supposed (i know they aren't really any more) to be the motorists' advocate, if stickers help as a reminder for due dates for this and that, that's the good for the motorists, their client base.

the government IT system is not infallible (understatement), one time i didnt get the reminder for rego, got on the phone only to be told that it's vehicle owner's responsibility (fair enough), they are just being nice and sending me reminders.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 19:51, cletus said:

Short answer is no. 

Long answer is maybe, with a lot of fucking around. 

Lvvta has said you can make a new bar if you can prove it's the same as the original one. 

This is all we've been given, there's nothing in the rules yet, this is from training 

Screenshot_20240508-194714_Drive.jpg

Cheers appreciate a straight up answer. Just trying to create one less problem for the certifier and myself. The less mucking around  the better thought I may have found a work around.

2 hours ago, igor said:

As long as they don't use it as some sort of backdoor "oh now we have this system, we can charge you for your rucs based on distance you've traveled "

"Oh lol  we can see how fast you're going, we never mentioned that did we? Here's a ticket"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

^  With all the privacy laws we have, I don't see how a fulltime gps tracking system like E-road or similar for ruc management/speeding etc could be passed here for private vehicles. 

Massive invasion of privacy not to mention a target for hacking so crims can find/follow the desirable vehicles easier. E-road already causes big problems between staff in the workplace for company vehices, so it would be a disaster for private vehicles.

• Like 2

im going to invent a religion like the amish or similar

you cannot track me via devices in the heavens, only the almighty god/allah/jeebus/flying spaghetti monster/hypnotoad can track me, he came to me in a dream to tell me so. also you may not replicate my image in video or picture form with these devil boxes you call 'speed cameras'

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cletus said:

im going to invent a religion like the amish or similar

you cannot track me via devices in the heavens, only the almighty god/allah/jeebus/flying spaghetti monster/hypnotoad can track me, he came to me in a dream to tell me so. also you may not replicate my image in video or picture form with these devil boxes you call 'speed cameras'

Just claim that you are a sovereign citizen, then use lots of big legal words to sound intelligent & threatening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 and recently had a totally flat battery. A jump got it running again fine but now the SRS warning light on the instrument panel is on and stay on.

It seems in these early Discos the system will have done a check, found a low voltage and so it lights the lamp. But apparently it is not self resetting. The only way to reset it is with a dealer code reader. Not sure any dealers will have the old equipment about to do that now (I need to try try ringing them still).

These cars are pre OBDII ports. There apparently is a connector to hook to but then it's a proprietary protocol so you still need a special reader to clear the code. There used to be readers available (Hawkeye and others) but they don't seem available now. There are cheap readers that claim to do it but I think most won't do the 96/97 Discos. It was only in about 1998 things started standardising.

There might be  someone around who has the gear to do it, maybe in a Land Rover club? I am in the Kapiti area if anyone can suggest someone.

But what happens if no one can do it? As far as I can see that warning light would be a WOF failure. Is it possibly to have the system removed? Does that then need certing?

Not sure how good 26 year old early air bags would be now anyway?

What happens when cars get to the point where a simple software failure means you can't get a warrant anymore since the tech is too old but the vehicle still perfectly good?

Simon

• Like 1

You can always cheat of you want to - no worse than removing the airbags

MINI CAR SRS ABS TIMER SWITCH AIRBAG LIGHT RELAY 1 TO 25 SEC KIT DELAY OFF 12V 1A : Amazon.com.au: Automotive

Otherwise would need to be certed for the removal, should be fairly straightforward as it is older than 14 years

Frontal impact airbags | Vehicle Inspection Portal (nzta.govt.nz)

image.png.5bf499a37a8c6fdb594a9ae62b5593e2.png