Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

Its probably so that if the car takes a big shunt, which I'm guessing is likely. The it will deform but not explode into a million splinters like it would if 100% carbon.

Or maybe in the past they had a big shard of carbon pierce the radiator. haha

• Like 3

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/02/2023 at 01:30, Roman said:

Interesting to see that sneaky low side injector position on the BMW motor - Firing the injectors straight down the guts of the runner definitely doesnt seem to be a necessity. 

They run super wide angle 'shower' injectors in this position just FYI. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has indeed been an awesomely fun project to follow and the best thing is - you're still here, you're still Dave the graph, you've got another motor to play with so we can all look forward to following your upcoming posts on your carina thread with the V6. 

Then after that's finished it'll be the echo thread with a V6 :thumbleft:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roman said:

It's been bloody awesome fun alright. 

But also it's a bit tapped out now. 
You cant get any 1NZ cams bigger than 264 deg, and there were only "admin" sorta jobs left to do like sort out an air filter or tidy it up. 
Things which made the car nicer but fundamentally didnt alter the recipe any further.

I'm actually really happy to end a project on a high note.
It seems a lot of projects end up being sad to look back on if they ended when a car was crashed, or motor blew up, or sold to have kids or whatever.
This has just been grin factor 10 nearly all the way through.

Also I've managed to infect some other people with the concept of vitz pesting, and the parts from this car are going to be used in some cool setups.

Also worth noting that back when this car was standard I came incredibly close to just giving it away as I no longer used it. 
What an absolute adventure it's been on, at the tail end of it's life instead. 
How good! 

I think what you have done is bloody amazing! 

It's been so cool to watch as you have progressed with the development and tried things.

I agree it's reached it's natural conclusion without a lot more major work.

I don't believe you can ever work on 2 project cars at the same time and give them both serious attention, so it's going to be awesome to see you get back into the carina.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I agree with that. 
The echo has been so much fun that it's been a 100% distraction. 
And thats been absolutely awesome, I've loved it. 
Not only that, a lot of the tricks I've found out (such as adapting bike throttles, finally figuring out how to 3d print manifolds effectively, how to make shitty carbon stuff) 
Will all come in handy.
Going to be cool.

• Like 7

On 13/02/2023 at 11:03, Roman said:

It's been bloody awesome fun alright. 

But also it's a bit tapped out now. 
You cant get any 1NZ cams bigger than 264 deg, 

This is probably a moot point, but i wanted to bring it up. We all know why we swing the intake cam for rev range and performance gains, and everyone says exhaust cam timing is barely worth the effort, and you can't go bigger cams because the valves clash...... But...m

Consider this, what if you swing the exhaust cam on its own vvt strategy purely to get the valve out if the way to allow even more wild intake cam size and timing?

/ Probably wouldn't work dumb idea?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjrstar said:

We all know why we swing the intake cam for rev range and performance gains, and everyone says exhaust cam timing is barely worth the effort, and you can't go bigger cams because the valves clash...... But...m

Consider this, what if you swing the exhaust cam on its own vvt strategy purely to get the valve out if the way to allow even more wild intake cam size and timing?

If you have a steep valve angle, as in, the valves are more vertical.
Then you need absolutely insane amount of lift and overlap in order for both of the valves to hit. 
At full intake cam advance, my intake valves are chasing the piston down the bore as close as they can. 
So hitting exhaust cam isnt the limiting factor.

• Like 4

Valve to valve isn't an issue in my case either with wide angle head.   piston to valve = yes.       The exhaust cam timing is not so much that it can be off and work.  it needs to be right  and  when its right, its pretty happy to work across the whole rev range.  when its off it kinda sucks almost everywhere

• Like 2