Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So in terms of recent changes made. 

New wheel and tyre setup. 
Absolutely awesome! No rubbing anywhere, no damage to the tyres from scraping guards etc.
The tyres themselves were really interesting to drive on. 
When cornering hard, it didnt feel like the tyre folded over or whatever. 
But then if I cut near the ripple strips, it was like they just soaked up the bumps. 
The only run I got was cut in half because someone chooched their car. So I didnt really get the tyres up to full temp either. 
I suspect they would have been better and better as the day went on. 
A++ will hoon again! 

My graduated shifter light setup was inoperable this time so I only had a single shift light that was difficult to see. 
Since the gearing was effectively different I was sometimes changing into an inappropriate gear and blitzing the limiter a bit more than ideal.
But it was cool to notice that it got though the gears a bit quicker. 
The track was running the chicane so didnt get near 200kph. 

Fairly impossible to quantifiy any aero changes, when the car felt so different from the tyres. 

The radiator setup - Much better.
The engine temp was staying below 100, still a little hotter than I'd like but not worrying.

image.png.ce44ff561405f62fc6c28ec4a72a4157.png

Definitely keen to get some more seat time once I've figured out a better solution for the waterpump.

• Like 5

Pity you didn’t get to do some full sessions. You are good at finding the positives though :)

Seems like a coolant temperature gauge would be a good thing to have. Shouldn’t be hard to arrange?

When the pumps die, are they completely done? Cooked motor windings? Or is there some clever stuff in there too that gives up?

Edit: found this

Which answered some of my questions. Presumably as you have an aftermarket ECU your control methods are different?

• Like 1

God damn that thing sounds glorious on the track. Shame about the water pump ending things early. 

Its probably been brought up before, but could you change to something like a Davies Craig EWP instead of the Toyota one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, VitesseEFI said:

Pity you didn’t get to do some full sessions. You are good at finding the positives though :)

Seems like a coolant temperature gauge would be a good thing to have. Shouldn’t be hard to arrange?

When the pumps die, are they completely done? Cooked motor windings? Or is there some clever stuff in there too that gives up?

Edit: found this

Which answered some of my questions. Presumably as you have an aftermarket ECU your control methods are different?

Yeah i was working to have my digidash finished before trackday but ran out of time. This will give me good visibility of things as well as flash big warnings or whatever.

Its always just a capacitor which blows up in the pump. Rest is fine. Have repaired one already.

Ive given my Dad my spare pump, and hes going to look at moving the circuitry off the pump itself, so it can be mounted away from the heat and vibrations.

This last pump has gone for ages without problems, ever since I left it disconnected from ECU with no speed control. Just running full time.

Fitting an aftermarket pump is possible but not preferable, as this is reasonably compact and has the thermostat integrated nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! That's an awesome offer. 
I'll see how my Dad goes for the moment - He's pretty handy with electronics.

It's always just that same capacitor that poos itself, even if just making it hot swappable it would 90% fix the problem haha.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Roman said:

Its always just a capacitor which blows up in the pump. Rest is fine. Have repaired one already.

Ive given my Dad my spare pump, and hes going to look at moving the circuitry off the pump itself, so it can be mounted away from the heat and vibrations.

Way ahead of me then(unsurprising!).

Putting the electronics somewhere less hostile sounds like a good plan.  If you just run it at full chat does it even need any electronics?

(it's always a bloody capacitor.....)

• Like 2

Hopefully you get the bugs ironed out and make it to the final Pukekohe playday soon! Have you done 10 or more playdays to get into this event? 

I have space in my driveway and a spot to sleep in when you decide to come to Manfeild btw. There will be a bunch of opportunities coming up.

image.png.11827bb1dcf367dfd0d61f72c19f8627.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nominal said:

What is really needed is a small auxiliary engine to power the water pump. 

Something like this

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/3947997315

Those tohatsu pumps were great but jesus they were the loudest thing ever during training we had to wait to fire them up until mid morning as not to wake the neighbors. This is a racecar tho it needs a wajax pump….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1