Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

1 hour ago, Seedy Al said:

Anyone know what sort of place I would try to buy fibre glass small gauge rod from? Thinking about a plan to get curtains into my wag. Want something semi flexible to be able to support the curtains between the top and bottom of the glass.  Also like cb Arial stuff..... 

Im sure it exists. I just don't know why or what for haha.

Maybe small sports flag poles.....

http://www.primehort.com/product/139-Fibre-glass-rod-8mm-x-1m-Green

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However while having dinner I had a revelation. 

A while ago some random Fibre glass lengths turned up as a miss delivery. 750 x 5 x 1mm. Think they are for model planes. Had a play along with some metarial I had bought at nats hoping to make curtains with but its to see through.  However concept looks like these may work,  might just need to tape some together to add strength. 

Should probably go buy that roll of tartan material I found at the second hand shop the other day. 

1509952175311image.JPG

• Like 4

@Seedy Al send me your address details and I will send you as much 3 mm diameter fibreglass rod as you need. Highest quality stuff you can get, 1100 MPa tensile strength.

I have a big pile of experimental 500 mm long rods here that are just taking up space.

Interlaminar shear strength is about 60 MPa. Flexural storage modulus at room temp is about 23 GPa.

Ideal stuff for curtains.

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.f0a435c710447eb3231e7c81d95b18c1.JPG

Also a pile of 11x4 flat bar that I should probably hock off too. Same strength characteristics. Probably a bit stiff for curtains though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

@Seedy Al send me your address details and I will send you as much 3 mm diameter fibreglass rod as you need. Highest quality stuff you can get, 1100 MPa tensile strength.

I have a big pile of experimental 500 mm long rods here that are just taking up space.

Interlaminar shear strength is about 60 MPa. Flexural storage modulus at room temp is about 23 GPa.

Ideal stuff for curtains.

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.f0a435c710447eb3231e7c81d95b18c1.JPG

#Notjustakpbarry

• Like 3

probably siemens, kollmorgen, or delta but I only deal with/take an interest in analog control velocity mode stuff, which is probably not relevant to what you do

if you read that list forwards, it would be what ive seen most to leastmost "out-and-about".

If you read it backwards, it would be what ive seen "trending" in the last few years, ive never dealt with delta but apparently the nz agent is really good/carrys stuff 

bums on seats by faar the most common is fanuc but its cnc only really - massive fanboy tbh.

• Like 3

this is an opinion coming from a different line of work, its really opinion-y and i don't do it as a job just dabble with it around the plant....when I look at projects like you guys machines, (I could well be wrong) the automagic gets performed and dictated by plc people, who then try to beat motion control systems into submission and mangle them into the "plc" being the head of the process and become a second class citizen, I imagine your using some sort of all-in-one motion controller/amp/servo solution that you talk to (half-ass-edly) over some bus?

you look at machines these days, and they have a lot more in common with something like a multi-tasking lathe than a concrete batching plant (the sorts of project these guys cut their teeth on) - so surely using a general purpose "motion controller" as the head of process, using general purpose drives and motors where you can mix and match and change brands when you have a supply issue (like you would when you have a vsd fault - you can ring a multitude of people and suppliers right?), that has a logic interpreter "as-well", would be far easier, has all the awesome "pre-made" motion synchronisation, diagnostics, self-fault-checking, simulation, block stepping, jogging, pre-made hardware interfaces, super easy motion programming (which is always the hard bit compared to logic right?). program logic "interpreted" text language that everybody involved can "read" and contribute their 2cents to...(The general opinion I have heard is interpreted language is too slow...which isn't correct for "our world"....I think its more "I want to keep people thinking I'm doing something they cant do".) 

A factory worker can program, maintain, optimise & fault-find a modern multi-tasking lathe run by a general purpose motion controller. And they are "cheap".

It is a mindset shift, and you don't get to just ask the normal suspects to do it, so you get in a feedback loop that maintains your heading.

We should go visit "delta-tau", (unrelated to "delta"). Interestingly I see they are now an Omron company. 

Wooah wall of text

Time to do some actual work... (Which is building a fence around a machine..thats process is controlled by...a motion controller! horay!)

• Like 3

Chain/sprocket pitch has got me confused.    Brought a new clutch for a go kart im trying to get going.

Chain pitch measured 3/8 which google told me was #35 chain so got clutch to suit. Chain doesnt fit the sprocket on the new clutch though. Its like the center rollers are too fat for it to bed properly on the sprocket teeth. The original clutch setup is a barry'd up thing with an extra bearing and lengthened shaft(puhuhuhu) to get the motor sitting central so has barry put some obscure sprocket combo on it   

• Like 1

can you take a few more measurements? There is a link below which has the main dimensions of 06b-1 chain, which is what we call #35 chain in the metric world

http://www.fbchain.com/roller-chain-size/06b-roller-chain-dimensions-iso-r606

There are lots of different chains out there, so really need to measure a bunch of stuff with calipers and compare

12 hours ago, sentra said:

this is an opinion coming from a different line of work, its really opinion-y and i don't do it as a job just dabble with it around the plant....when I look at projects like you guys machines, (I could well be wrong) the automagic gets performed and dictated by plc people, who then try to beat motion control systems into submission and mangle them into the "plc" being the head of the process and become a second class citizen, I imagine your using some sort of all-in-one motion controller/amp/servo solution that you talk to (half-ass-edly) over some bus?

you look at machines these days, and they have a lot more in common with something like a multi-tasking lathe than a concrete batching plant (the sorts of project these guys cut their teeth on) - so surely using a general purpose "motion controller" as the head of process, using general purpose drives and motors where you can mix and match and change brands when you have a supply issue (like you would when you have a vsd fault - you can ring a multitude of people and suppliers right?), that has a logic interpreter "as-well", would be far easier, has all the awesome "pre-made" motion synchronisation, diagnostics, self-fault-checking, simulation, block stepping, jogging, pre-made hardware interfaces, super easy motion programming (which is always the hard bit compared to logic right?). program logic "interpreted" text language that everybody involved can "read" and contribute their 2cents to...(The general opinion I have heard is interpreted language is too slow...which isn't correct for "our world"....I think its more "I want to keep people thinking I'm doing something they cant do".) 

A factory worker can program, maintain, optimise & fault-find a modern multi-tasking lathe run by a general purpose motion controller. And they are "cheap".

It is a mindset shift, and you don't get to just ask the normal suspects to do it, so you get in a feedback loop that maintains your heading.

We should go visit "delta-tau", (unrelated to "delta"). Interestingly I see they are now an Omron company. 

Wooah wall of text

Time to do some actual work... (Which is building a fence around a machine..thats process is controlled by...a motion controller! horay!)

Nice, theres lots of things I can research here. Need to figure out what is best for us, at the moment we have been using Omron NX automation controllers, but damn they are expensive even though we get huge discounts on the gear. In fact everything servo related is fucking expensive. 

Keen to visit delta tau, especially since the CEO's name is Dimitri Dimitri

• Like 3

Going to have a go at installing a windscreen in the wagon on Sunday.

Q for the pro's @AALAWS @RB30VB

I can only get a seal in a length, not molded. Should the ends be glued with anything or just a bit of windscreen sealer.

Where's the best place for the join? I was going to go for off-centre at the top (as there is a joining piece in the centre of the trim so it's not as well locked in by the (wide) SS trim there.

For the back glass I've had some new pieces cut from laminated glass. This is a bit thicker than the toughened glass that was there. The seals are new, do you think they'll work out OK?

dscf1813.jpg