Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Been looking into generators myself for a variety of reasons. 

Always a few diesel semi commercial spec used ones on tm.

Probably buy a 10-20 kva one complete on a skid for 5k.

Mind you of they only idling then not that great on the motor. Having said that, we have a 60kva one that has been idling for over 2 years non stop running some lights and a small compressor and aside from a but of smoke its still humming

How far is  your shed from power?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, vivaspeed said:

Is that your shed up the back of your old house?  Get a chain trencher and drop some neutral screen cable in the ground.  Best in the long run.

Can do hookups for good pricing.

Yea dont fuck about with a generator for that distance. 

Bit of 16mm NS. Pretty sure you can get led indoor tomato lights now. Dont use much power at all...

• Like 1

the ol' quiet flatmates

was looking at the light setup in the panel shop next to my new spot, they've gone to 1.5ish metre long LED strip lights (look like flouro tubes) linked up along the walls/ceiling and they're amazing. said they'll be ditching the remaining fluoros  for mo' LED ones. he has a couple on leads for under cars etc, all of the lumens

• Like 4

On 2/10/2017 at 19:30, fletch said:

Been looking into generators myself for a variety of reasons. 

Always a few diesel semi commercial spec used ones on tm.

Probably buy a 10-20 kva one complete on a skid for 5k.

Mind you of they only idling then not that great on the motor. Having said that, we have a 60kva one that has been idling for over 2 years non stop running some lights and a small compressor and aside from a but of smoke its still humming

How far is  your shed from power?

How many kva is my old boys one can you remember Fletch?

• 2 weeks later...

im looking at buying a peugeot 306 diesel manual 2001. I dont know the exact model. Do these things have cable or hydraulic clutch? google seems to say cable, but im not 100%. Pedal bite is right at the floor, so wondering what would need to be done to fix it depending on how the clutch works

Are all 306 gearboxes a littel hard to change gears on? some bushes get worn out or something? I recall goats old peugeot had a weird gearbox

Theres a bunch of places around. Steel and tube, Easysteel, Asmuss, as well as a bunch of smaller steel suppliers. Saying steam pipe usually refers to schedule 40 or 80 pipe I think, I see easysteel refers to it as medium and heavy wall pipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_Pipe_Size

There are a bunch of people on OS who should be able to get you a deal on this stuff, not that it should be too expensive, but prices start to add up once you got v8 worth of bends. I can buy the stuff for you if you like, but probably easier to ask brocklee or someone. Send me your email and I can send you a slightly old price list from steel and tube as a guide for what you should be paying

• Like 1

15 hours ago, peteretep said:

im looking at buying a peugeot 306 diesel manual 2001. I dont know the exact model. Do these things have cable or hydraulic clutch? google seems to say cable, but im not 100%. Pedal bite is right at the floor, so wondering what would need to be done to fix it depending on how the clutch works

Are all 306 gearboxes a littel hard to change gears on? some bushes get worn out or something? I recall goats old peugeot had a weird gearbox

They should be cable.

There is some shitty self adjuster in the middle of the cable. So a new cable might fix things.

Also, there is a kind of return stop/rubber thing on the clutch pedal. Try pulling it all the way up with your foot. That might give some more leverage.
I had this issue on mine, where sometimes the clutch (which was new) would be low on the floor, pullin pedal up with my foot would fix it.
You can remove that stop thingy so the pedal always returns to top of travel.

• Like 1