RX_007's Mint 121

Threeonthetree

So you were the guy who bought this in the end?

Some robust debate occured on the subject of this car a while ago when another member was also looking at purchasing it. No doubt he'll introduce himself to you very soon cough Alistair cough :lol::lol: . But that's such a sweet ride.

I'm guessing you're in Auckland, and if so are you coming to the Jap meet? Would be great to see IRL!

EDIT Just discovered that you're from Hamilton. Only an hour away......

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, that car is very very cool.

it would be great to see it at the classic jap meet, its on the 16th of Jan (last time i checked)

there is a thread about it. anywho, good to see the car in good hands and please keep us up to date with its progress.

cheers,

sheepers.

Sweet car! Haha, too bad the previous owner (caryard) was a chode smoker, but all the same a neat car. Went on $1 reserve didn't it? I was going to bid but he blacklisted me after a little dispute we had about his asking price! :badgrin: Oh well, I'm off to aus so glad to see it'll get used.

Don't rotor it, is too cool to bastardize I think. Just a slight lowering is all it needs and whip the bumpers off and remove the rubber nudgers on the front and rear bumpers. Not sure if theyre bolted on like my Bellett ones were but if they are just use 316 stainless coachbolts that cover the holes and autosol the crap out of it to bring it up to the same shine as the rest of the bumper.

Awesome car. I adore the 121 shape. Please, no rotor. How about an SP23 engine?

EDIT:

Don't rotor it, is too cool to bastardize I think. Just a slight lowering is all it needs and whip the bumpers off and remove the rubber nudgers on the front and rear bumpers.

This would also be an excellent plan IMHO.

Don't rotor it, is too cool to bastardize I think. Just a slight lowering is all it needs and remove the rubber nudgers on the front and rear bumpers.

Do this ^^^^ otherwise leave as is - perhaps get period old man accessories like (NZ) AA badge, RSA Huntly sticker, a sick 80's sunshade (the cardboard one with the pair of sunglasses on it) and nodding dog for the back window...

EDIT - also for those looking for build thread..

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21343

Agreed, looks great in the photos.

Also in keeping with the original style of it I think you could easily get away with a rotary conversion. The only way would be dropping in a rebuilt original unported engine, with standard carb and even airfilter box, just cleaned right up. I think that would be very cool and would add a little bit of power without ruining the feel of the car.

The worst thing I could imagine though with this car would be shiny wheels, no springs, matt black paint job and a pulsing rotor. Just my opinion. On some cars it could be great, just not this wee beauty!

The fact your all so against rotors (and in reality seem to know nothing about them) is hilerious, people with the comments of "dont rotor it" need to do a quick google search of the RX5 :rolleyes:

Mikuni, bang on mate nice to see someone who isnt a sheep and can see the potential for a tidy rotary.

Oh by the way Pat its Alex here from Jordans xmas eve party, ill give you a yell on facebook about our cruise to the summerdrags

Cept this is a 121 not an rx5, its like rotoring 808's, capellas etc. Its been done so many times would be cool for this to be kept immaco and piston.If he was going to rotor would have to get everything from rx5 so it didn't look like a bag of arse swap job.

Get back to playing with your cosmo :P

Wrong place to say this but its not so much against the rotor on the whole nor am I bringing up the stereotypical rotorhead argument..

Personally I'm more against doing what 75% of people would do and fitting a rotor.

Not to mention that converting such an immaculate car as this to a rotor would be a crime IMHO.

I know what an RX5 is and this could be converted into a replica but there are plenty of other not so mint machines to modify by fitting a rotor and make an RX5 replica out of....

edit: also what Alistair said.. :D

The fact your all so against rotors (and in reality seem to know nothing about them) is hilerious, people with the comments of "dont rotor it" need to do a quick google search of the RX5 :rolleyes:

Mikuni, bang on mate nice to see someone who isnt a sheep and can see the potential for a tidy rotary.

Fuck bro, here we go AGAIN with you and your illegitimate rant. When will you figure out that people here do NOT have a problem with the rotary engine. You seem intent on believing there's some sort of underlying anti-rotary rule on this forum, which couldn't be further from the truth.

The "anti-rotary" nature of this thread, is in regards to taking a completely mint Mazda 121 and ripping out the heart to make it into a replica of an RX-5. It's not anti-rotary, it's "anti-fuck with something so mint"

What is hilarious is that you go on to blather something about being a sheep in regards to the idea of not putting a rotary into it. Apparently oblivious to the colour of the Kettle, Mr. Pot.

You might in reality know something about "rotors" but for the time you've spent on here, you know nothing about the people and opinion on this forum. I think perhaps you're a little jaded by your enthusiasm for the Wankel engine.

I mean for fucks sake, this is oldschool.co.nz, do you really think people don't know what a fucking RX-5 is? Wake up.

OK, counter-rant over.

This car is epic, despite the pricing as Alistair mentioned, I still believe it was a good car for the cost even if the seller was a complete and utter bag of douche by all accounts. :lol:

Oh really so you guys know where some other 121/rx5s are do you?? bottom line is theres fuck all of them left, and a replica one if done correctly is worth a shitload more than a piston 121 regardless of how "mint" it is. As it sits now that car only appealing to people who know what it is, Pat has the chance to build something amazing and out of the ordinary here and I for one hope he turns it into something great.

Leaving it standard would be a waste of a blank canvis

While you are right in saying that an RX5 (or in this case rotary powered 121) is currently more valuable, as time goes on and actual collectors and enthusiasts (you know, the people with money, not the current GE Money buyers), Genuine items will be what rake in the cash, beit a RX5 or 121, not something inbetween.

That said, What a mint little car, and I'd be behind a nice clean factory looking rotor install (or just about anything else from the mazda dept), afterall, its this dudes car.

It would almost be a shame to butcher it too much though.

pretty sure danger picked up an rx4 yesterday

Agreed mint car, and also agree with kyteler - I mean unless there is something completely wrong with the motor I'd be more inclined to leaving it alone, and having a sweet classic minter.

Something about strokes and folks

Thats mint, I like almost everything about this, (which is strange given its a mazda)

And worse for me, yea I think it needs a 12a or 13b - Carb'd with a pair of velocity stacks - would complete this car, where abouts are you situated?

Great car.

Too great to put a rotor in it.

I would buy a bashed up old dx corolla set up for a 13b to do that and not ruin mint car.

Its hard to say that without sounding like a rotor hater but iv had a few rotor motors go through my hands.

/ jealous.