RX_007's Mint 121

Threeonthetree

fuck im about ready to delete this whole thread.

way to welcome the new guy with a sweet car, by having a 7 year old's argument about who's opinion is more valuable than who's.

its a fucking sweet car and what he chooses to do with it is all good, and up to him, not you.

sheepers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This cars mint. Spotted it a few months back on the North Shore in milford. Think its was ownd by any old lady then.

I reckon you should keep it all original but just lower it a bit. ( But dont lower it to much so it screws up the guards etc)

Prety hard to find a mint 121/RX5 in nz these days. Keep us posted on any updates :D

I remember seeing an rx5 all wicked up in fast fours and rotaries back in the day...like in 1994.

Thought they were ugly as sin.

HOWEVER!!!!

Havent seen one in years!

And am loving this one!

Infact I would happily own this one!

Good score bro and keep us up to date on its progress or non progress!

I've never looked at one of these too closely, I think they are a funny looking car overall, but when you look a little closer there are some really cool lines, I am loving the B pillar/middle window, how different is that!

Nice work with the bumper too :)

That is awesome, so unique, glad to see a real nice example still exists!!

I had a 121 and an RX-5 once, couldnt get rid of them both for $500 so they went to the scrappy :( (about 7 years ago)

Have never seen a tidy RX-5 or 121 on the road in NZ. Only minor cosmetic differences on the outside, red rear reflectors on rear quarters, badges and that was about it from memory! The doors on these are shocking/notorious for rust along the bottom of the skin so fish oil them up!!!

Difference inside was the redline was 1000rpm higher on the RX-5, thats it! These cars share the floor plan (and dash) with the RX-4. Designed specifically for the US market with its styling but was a huge flop everywhere except Japan!

Im for keeping it original, it looks super tight, dont spoil that paint please ffs don't change it!!

They only real GHEY thing about these is their stud pattern, its unique, one off shares its pattern with no other car let alone Mazda, think its 4 x 120 from memory....

Here are some pics of my ones for interests sake. White one was the RX-5

ja2110.jpg

ja2113.jpg

ja2111.jpg

ja2114.jpg

ja2112.jpg

Whoa .... I thought you guys are such a quiet bunch but how wrong was I ??? :lol:

Anyway I feel so privillage to be right in the middle of the scandal.

As for price of the car I know how much the dude bought it for and I know I probably paid a bit too much for it(especially the Mrs. I was in the dog box for dyas) but I think to myself when will I come across another car like this again. Before this car I have never actually see any 121 or RX5 in person so the first one I see I decided to buy it !!!

Perhaps it just come down to my love of cars. Perfect example was yesterday at the Rotary summerdrags my car was the only 1 of its kind in the sea of 323s 626s 929s RX2-3-4. So I had my little moment haha ... it's ugly and people will stare but that's what its all about isnt it ?

Best thing about it is when people come up and look at it for ages then they couldnt resist to read the rego label :mrgreen:

As for plans for this car I got this thing in mind " If it aint a rotor it aint a motor " :twisted:

Haha Jokes .. face drop .. whatever .... I do like rotary though my last car was a shiny green RX7 that puts out a ridicously 350kws atw thanks to a stupidly large turbo and some bridgeporting !!!

But before you say anything hear me out first the actual idea behind this car is " If it aint broke why fix/replace it"

So the first thing on the car would be to get the body sorted. The more I work on this car the more rust I've discovered and I plan to keep this car for a rather long time yet it might be a good idea if I get this sorted before its too late dont you think ?I thought about doing myself and a few a mates but I thought about it some more and have decided against it so hopefully I will find somebody good enough to do this.

I have a "new" color in mind but this is all depends oh how much its going to costs.

So if the rust get the better of it then I am more than happy to stay with the poo brown. BTW if any of you that might know some expert in this area please let me know and if they are in Hamilton that will be even better.

Next on the card will more than likely be the interior.Since the dash is already cracked and I do not want it to get any worst that will be sorted ASAP.

Rear parcel also needs to be done but this is a rather easy job that My Mrs. volunteer to do ( yes !!)

The carpet is a little bit on the "poo" side too and since its not too much to replace them carpet I will get it done at the same time.

I hate to think how much more rust I will discover underneath them carpets.

So once those are sorted I will hopefully end up with a "minter" car than she is now.

I have made some inquiries about the wheels and only to find out 4x120 wheels are impossible to find.

The best solutions we've come up with is to get an adapter plate made up and there is a company in Hamilton that make them.The price is "okay" but by the time I bought new wheels and all I could have easily spend the same amount on a new paint job and that's why I decided to do the body in the near future.

As for the million dollars question : To rotor or not to rotor

I will just leave you guys to "discuss" this matters further. Quite frankly its just too much fun to read.

Anyway that is it for now ... Happy blogging ...

That is awesome, so unique, glad to see a real nice example still exists!!

I had a 121 and an RX-5 once, couldnt get rid of them both for $500 so they went to the scrappy :( (about 7 years ago)

GUTTED ... that's all I have to say BTW whoever you sold it to do you think they actually scrap it or wreck it for parts ??