si

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Cortina has a cert. On the plate it has measurment from top of gaurd to centre of wheel, as they do. When I got my cert I didnt have time/funds for custom springs so it got certed pretty hi in the front.

It no runs King springs front

I went for VTNZ wof the otherr day and it failed because the height on the cert plate does not match up with the measurment. I was under the impression King Springs did not need certing, where could I find this info to take into VTNZ? The springs are captive.

Cheers

Gaz

King Springs on a standard car are fine so long as they don't go below the legal 100mm, you car is cert'd at a particular height so that factor is irrelevant. I imagine you'll have to re-cert or jack it to within tolerance.

Yup, sad but true.

yea tbh most wof inspectors will not check such things , the anuses at work actually failed a car for being too high :| saw plate and figured why it wasnt at cert hieght , ended up with guy at lvvta telling the zimbabwaen prick to go away and come back when he had some sense .

Back on topic though , yup as soon as you get a cert it has to go by that cert . no more oh i might run 14's instead of 17's etc

Stink, will put standard springs in for WOF then. Bit of a gay one tho considering the springs are for the struts I have in the car. I guess they do change steering arm angles tho and I have changed all shiz which cert states.

Oh well an hour to change springs aint no major.

Gaz

So say I had a car that was to badly damaged/rusted to repair but I had another mint shell that I wanted to transfer all the good bits into.

The only downside with the new shell is that it is dereg so is there any way that I can "legally" transfer the live plates tags and chassis number onto it?

i'm pretty sure if you run a chassis the tags should stay with that and body on top is irrelevant if the same,

then for monocoque i would argue it to based on a majority of parts say the subframe (where chassis number is stamped and all running

gear end up on it) you could argue the the car is made of 70% original parts and therefore its original with, ?%of the body replaced with recycled parts.

Technically its illegal to change plates and tags from one car to another. Its called car conversion and would attract a prison term. The reason it is frowned on is criminals can do it to change the identity of a stolen car..

In reality if you are doing it to keep a car going and you have records that you owned both cars then do it properly,then getting caught would be pretty hard. If someone did catch you - you most probably would get into shit but doubt you'ld get anything more than a huge bill from a lawyer and a criminal record..

IMO - It would be pretty hard to get caught though..

Gutted I was really hoping there would be some way to do it legally without having to go for re vin+cert+repear cert+first rego which is some thing stupid like $350 for 6 months.

The other car is still wof and reged to so a weekends work for a quick cut and shut is sounding a lot better than $1500+ for a re-vin right now.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the deal with redrilling strut tower tops? I need to drill at least one more hole in the top as the struts I want to put in use a 2 bolt top mount where the old ones were 3 bolt. Any strengthening etc required?

my viva has a 12a rotary turbo with a suck through carb- when i get it cert'd will the cert plate say exactly that.?

Or will it just say 12a rotary - turbo charged.

In the future i may like to change from carb to injection but dont want to re-cert it.

Also- if in the future i was to go back to n/a, put a nikki carb back in place and loose 40bhp then surely that wouldn't require a re- cert?