For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Interesting about side pipes. always though it had to exit rearward of internal passeger compartment.

Coming out behind rear wheel prob infront of on the van now.

Clint,

Van direction has changed alittle since you last saw it.

Motor is now same block so standy mounts and gearbox etc, only difference is new motor is the twincam efi version of factory motor, cert required?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor is now same block so standy mounts and gearbox etc, only difference is new motor is the twincam efi version of factory motor, cert required?

yes twincam head and it will (hopefully for you) make more than 20% more power.

Are park lights a wof requirement?

I thought it was one of those things that if they both dont work then you don't need them.

no they need to be there and working.

What is the legallity of front splitters? Want to make one up, will probaly project around 2-3 inches from the bottom of the bumper, so no more than huge queer bodykits etc do. Cheers, Ben.

will be fine as long as its not sharp- all foward facing projections must have a 3mm radius and not be dangerous to pedestrians that you are running over.

http://lvvta.org.nz/stdExternalProjections.pdf

So hypothetically, if one were to argue that the van was already fitted with the twin cam motor and i simply added the efi gear that would not require cert?

Kinda need warrent before van will be ready for cert still got suspension etc to do first.

For a car with a separate body and chassis (in this case a fibreglass body) am I allowed to either weld in or bolt in a radiator/front body support like in this picture( highlighted in red) without having to get a cert.

testday_29-Copy.jpg?t=1303275989

The car originally had a front steel support but is very badly designed and very heavy, i would much prefer to make up a light tube frame design if i could get away without a cert.

Cheers.

is a shorted and welded and balanced axle cert-able? ive heard mix storys about this some saying no and some yes its annoying me :lol:

Are you talking about cutting the spline off and shortening it and rewelding it to the axle? Or are you talking about the driveshaft?

as fasr as I know then the answer is neither are cert items..

however I have a disclaimer

the axle - I wouldn't bother cutting and welding cos its going to give you a world of hurt and problems - best practice is to cut off the excess length and then resplining the axle

the driveshaft - it should not be a problem providing it is done properly - ie the yokes are still in phase and the driveshaft is accurately balanced..

talking about axle hmm bugger that sucks oh well , was looking at respining it but the axle thickness gets thinner after the spline :? might just save me the hassle and get a axle engineered

if anyone knows any great places that can make them and xrayed them as i think thats required now with custom made axles, then please pm some details cheers :)

Depending what you want it for then these are the strongest custom axles in the world. http://www.moserengineering.com/axles.html

But locally (I mean in NZ) I would talk to these guys cos Brian knows a FUCKload about making strong axles and if he can't help you out then he can tell you who to go to. http://howatengineering.co.nz/

The car originally had a front steel support but is very badly designed and very heavy, i would much prefer to make up a light tube frame design if i could get away without a cert.

Cheers.

can be done but would definetly need cert if you are changing anything structural like suspension mounting reinforcements like in that picture.

is a shorted and welded and balanced axle cert-able? ive heard mix storys about this some saying no and some yes its annoying me :lol:

pretty sure theres nothing in the rule book about that.... my work car has done over 150,000 km with welded axles done by diffs r us ( borg warner center with terrano axles and brakes) with commodore v6 engine. I wouldnt do it to anything thats going to get abused though or if it has a lot of power.

hey guys, im looking fro some mild advice.

So i'm going to make my pan hard rod adjustable by using a rear arm ouf of a wide track bluebird or similar. cut out adjuster and weld into section of pan hard rod.

Would you guys just v the two sections to be welded and weld up, or would you sleeve them also for better strength? What would Jesus slash the cert man say ya think?

CHUR