For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing I made the mistake of posting a tech q in spam...lol

Am looking at a car for a track hack, has a "small rust hole" in the fire wall.

For repairs to this for wof (assuming it is small) am I able to cut out rust and then make round and fill hole with a grommet of some sort?

I've cut holes in the firewalls of several cars before for wiring etc and have usually just put a gromet there to protect the cables. Hadn't really thought of it being a wof issue before.

I would think it won't be a concern providing the hole isn't near a structural area of the car. Rust on firewalls doesn't usually occur on a nice flat piece of steel where you would normally drill a hole, from what I've seen its often in cunty places where steel joins etc.

Also, you mention it being a track car. I know in Schedule A they get a little bit more picky on firewalls. I think it would be more likely that it be picked up in scrutineering than at a wof inspection.

Do it.

Hmm you are right re rust location, I had just been picturing a hole smack in the middle. May be more of a cunt to fix. Its a $300 car with loads of spares, so may still be worth getting regardless and just get a quick rust fix. Am seeing car on weekend so will just have to see how it goes.

Thats a difficult one. If the car was FI from the factory and you carbed it, you probably don't require a cert for the engine because you are not increasing the capacity and the increase in power is probably below the threshold required for a cert. But you are changing the fuel system and probably the pumps, so in that respect you'd probably need to have that side of things added to the cert.

For things like that I'd say you are best to speak directly to a certifier. Get it straight form the Horse - they are usually quite accomodating and happy to help with questions such as this.

I have heard thats a true story but again, at the descretion of the certifier. If its an engine swap you'd probably be required to recert. Changing to race seats/changing wheel size/upgrading brakes etc - could probably have it amended on existing cert.

Do chassis rail rust repairs require a cert?

I remember having a Gemini with firewall rust and when I went to get it revinned, the guy said the rust repair would need certs as it was structural.

Is this the same if I'm just going for a WOF on a de-reg car?

hai guys,

anybody had just a suspension cert done? No engine conversion etc. What you pay?

And this has probably been asked millions:

Anybody know good cert guy in palmy? Some dont like tyre stretch.

Will ring and ask for price but would be good to see what others have payed.

Chrs

• 3 weeks later...

When I got my car certed I told the guy I had more to add later and asked him about extra cost. He told me whenever you change something the whole lot needs to be re-checked make sure your not hiding any other changes. As for the efi to carb thing it will need re-certing I asked about similar things like if my 2.0 efi turbo engine died could I chuch the stock 1.6 carb engine in my conversion is a bolt in engine no welding or anything he said no need a re-cert.

• 2 weeks later...