For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

are these trademe drive shaft hoops certable?

minimum size is 50x5mm so if they are that size that will be sweet. you can cut them up to fit your car better, as long as they go right round the driveshaft and are 50x5 the whole way round. also have to be mounted within 150mm of the front u-joint.

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clint :)

How much of a car needs to be modified/changed befor it becomes a scratch built ? If i was to purchase a non compliable car off trade me (plenty of them on there for cheap) How much would need to be changed befor it could be certified as a scratch built for road use ? Cheers

oh haere mai andrew.

unfortunately there is no easy answer to that one....there used to be some sort of percentage that you could change and it would be classed as a scratchbuilt. all this is being reviewed at the moment as far as i know.

if you got an uncompliable car and built a full chassis for it then it could probably could be called a scratchbuilt, going by what has been happening with other other vehicles. eg if you get a original old 32 ford body and build a new chassis for it, it becomes a scratchbuilt car

Hi Clint

Is there a set price on cert'n a vehicle just for adjustable suspension?

Also, the front struts in my vehicle have been converted to be adjustable. I brought these from a donor vehicle and didn't have them made myself. I have the low volume cert paper work and plate from the donor vehicle. Is this enough to certify these struts? Or will they need to be checked?

What checks are involved?

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Clint

Is there a set price on cert'n a vehicle just for adjustable suspension?

Also, the front struts in my vehicle have been converted to be adjustable. I brought these from a donor vehicle and didn't have them made myself. I have the low volume cert paper work and plate from the donor vehicle. Is this enough to certify these struts? Or will they need to be checked?

What checks are involved?

Hope this makes sense.

Your struts would be checked again, the old cert becomes irrelevant when its a different car. Shouldnt be an issue if they are done correctly. as for what checks are involved, its basically common sense stuff, springs captive, travel, parts compatability, how it drives, etc

we charge 450 for a cert which would basically cover everything, ( susp, wheels, seats, etc) unless its had an engine swap. then its 500-600, depending on what engine, what mods have been done to get it in.......if the owner causes headaches.... :lol:

the price usually includes 1 recheck, the plate manufacture, and gst.

thats what we charge, not everyone has the same pricing.....have heard of a couple of certifiers who charge less for the initial inspection, then more to get the plate made and more if the car needs a recheck

If i remove the engine from my car and fit another engine that bolts up to the factory mounts that is lesser power do i still need a cert ?

For example;

If i have a toyota ke70 corolla with a 1300cc 4K and remove the engine to fit a 1000cc 2K

Or if i have a 1973 HQ Kingswood and remove the 353 V8 and fit a Lada 1500 4 cylinder.

Or a Mazda RX7 and remove the 13B to fit a 1300cc 323 engine.

Providing the mounts are OEM factory not modified do i need a cert ?

Surely you know the answer already R100? :P

I understood the rules to be that as long as the engine was in the same family/series with equal or lesser power/capacity then a Cert is not required, if you're changing the family of engine or increasing capacity and/or power (but over 15%?) then it does require certification.

So,

Toymota: No

Holden w/Lada: Yes

RX7 w/ Piston: Yes

Happy to be corrected though.

So,

Toymota: No

Holden w/Lada: Yes

RX7 w/ Piston: Yes

You sir, are quite correct.

So i cannot chance the family of engine ?

So do i need a cert if i remove a 253 from an HQ and fit a 186 ?

Seriuos questions here.

(I probably should leave the answer to Clint... but...)

I'll look up the specific documentation later, but the moment you change the family of engine then you need Certification.

The 186 (inline 6) is a different family of engine to the 253 (V8) so you would need cert to change it. From a legal and technical standpoint that is.

You could put a 253 into what was previously a 308 without cert. and you could put a 173 or 186 into what was previously a 202 without cert.

However, you would require cert. if you put a 202 into what was previous a 173 or 186.