For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

except that probably wont fool the cert inspectors. you would have to supply the factory emissions specs to them and if they see that the engine isn't running anywhere close to that they will start looking at the cat. would be nice if you could get away with that, no doubt some cert inspectors would be pretty lax anyway.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

often its part of the factory downpipe.

See the light on the dash the arrows are pointing to, that's the cat converter overheating warning lamp:

cat.jpg

cheers phil i was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what this light was in my 910 ... i mean err my mates 910 .

also bashing the guts out of a cat .. that shits radiactive . and why?? get a decent one and they dont kill flow that much ..

and your helping the uhh .. iunnno

With regard to the Cat, Can I make the assumption that , say I've had a modified car for several years, it's had a modded exhaust with no cat and have never been asked for a cert as it's pretty much standard.

So if supposing someone decides one day that my power is a bit more than stock and I need a cert, I would need to refit the cat? which I no longer have?

Steve

Yes. If your car originally had a cat converter (which almost ALL Japanese import cars since the late 70s/early 80s did), and you require a cert then you will technically need to re-fit a suitable cat converter. However, until then, you don't need a cat converter to pass a WOF check. Seems silly I know.

NO.

all this emission stuff (at the moment anyway) only applies to vehicles with an engine swap. So if you have your original engine that is modified you dont have to worry about cats or emission tests.

Actually, question for Cletus:

My original Cat used an ECU controlled Air pump to pump air into it at low RPM to help with emissions. Since I have ditched the factory ECU & Airpump can I replace the factory cat with a basic aftermarket cat? Or do I have to use a factory equivilant and put the air pump back on?

if this is your rx7 you are talking about and its still a 13b and it uses stock mounts then you wont have to do anything.

aftermarket cats are acceptable if you have done an engine swap, you wont have to run an air pump.

Also the emissions test, if required, is not a big deal........ its only an air fuel ratio check with a wideband meter its not checking HCs or any of that stuff

so if the car is tuned properly its not a problem.

Great thread...some questions:

Have done engine swap from 2l to 2l turbo. The same engine but with one having turbo hanging off the front. Excatly same brakes,hubs,rack is shared.

What do i have to do to get cert? Do i need to supply build details between the two cars (donor, project car) If i get it checked before may 1st and have to do something on it which takes me over may 1st date, does the recheck mean the cat issue come into it?

Thanks greatly.

Actually, question for Cletus:

My original Cat used an ECU controlled Air pump to pump air into it at low RPM to help with emissions. Since I have ditched the factory ECU & Airpump can I replace the factory cat with a basic aftermarket cat? Or do I have to use a factory equivilant and put the air pump back on?

if this is your rx7 you are talking about and its still a 13b and it uses stock mounts then you wont have to do anything.

aftermarket cats are acceptable if you have done an engine swap, you wont have to run an air pump.

Also the emissions test, if required, is not a big deal........ its only an air fuel ratio check with a wideband meter its not checking HCs or any of that stuff

so if the car is tuned properly its not a problem.

Legend!!! I am running a wideband with gauge in car so shouldn't be a problem.

cletus/Clint, you are magic. I just want to take the time to say a huge thanks for starting this thread and being such a friendly and helpful chap. Cheers man.

Me to, thanks heaps man!

no worries 8)

Clint your my hero :lol: Im heading down to see Jess tommoro. Do you still help out at the shop ? Im dropping my 1973 Crown off there next week to fit a 1JZ, no doubt ill need your services.

Back on 5 day weeks this year no no more work there...... still pop in to see Mr Darlington now and then though

i did a cert on a crown with a NA 2JZ a while back, was quite a cool car, drove nice.

Great thread...some questions:

Have done engine swap from 2l to 2l turbo. The same engine but with one having turbo hanging off the front. Excatly same brakes,hubs,rack is shared.

What do i have to do to get cert? Do i need to supply build details between the two cars (donor, project car) If i get it checked before may 1st and have to do something on it which takes me over may 1st date, does the recheck mean the cat issue come into it?

Thanks greatly.

the more info you can supply, the better.

sometimes its hard to tell if its had an engine swap (needs emission test and cat etc) or if its had a turbo put on the original engine (mod oe engine doesnt need a cat or emission test.) This can sometimes work in your favour.

not 100% sure on the recheck issue then needing cats after may 1....... will need to find out about that one.