For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

As some of you know i am looking at putting a Sr20Det in the Trump.

I need to either make the Subframe lower to the ground, to get out of the sump way or go around the front of the sump.

What issues may i have with getting a cert with changing this?

Changing the subframe is not generally recommended. usually you would make the the engine mountsto suit and modify the sump and oil pump pickup to clear the crossmember if neccesary.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone verify wether or not its illegal to have no headrests?

I think technically for a wof you should have them if the car came with them.

Yeah i was on those lines too, but if it came to me getting pulled over, is it a fineable offence?

If it's a wof fail then yes it could cause you to get a fine/green/pink sticker if the officer picks it up.

• 4 weeks later...
Just found this. It seems a Avon reakon their CR500 195/45/15 will go up to a 8.5" rim

http://www.avonracing.com/road_legal_page.aspx

195/45 is a nominal measurement

as far as im aware there are no rules stating which part for the tyre they have to measure

also iirc there are some silverstone tyres where the 185 is wider than the 195 due to changing measurement points at the factory :rolleyes:

edit: which is why stretch regs should only be an advisory not a stone clad rule

I'm converting my car from 4-stud to 5-stud, using all factory parts (front and rear hubs from a later model pressed into the original knuckles + discs from same), nothing has been cut/welded/drilled or otherwise and the new wheels don't rub on anything.

Will I need a cert for this?

(I plan to get one after I've done a bunch more stuff, but it'd be sweet if I could get the car legal in the meantime).

I'm converting my car from 4-stud to 5-stud, using all factory parts (front and rear hubs from a later model pressed into the original knuckles + discs from same), nothing has been cut/welded/drilled or otherwise and the new wheels don't rub on anything.

Will I need a cert for this?

(I plan to get one after I've done a bunch more stuff, but it'd be sweet if I could get the car legal in the meantime).

I'm not sure that he hangs round much now, but I would definitely say no.

They are never going to pick up on that at a wof.

Ever.

It may be a requirement, but yeah. If a cop cant see one of my cars is registered as a tractor then he won't notice the extra stud.

what sort of car is it? if you are changing brakes, that will need cert anyway but if its all bolt on factory stuff you might get away with it for a while

'89 mitsi galant vr4, calipers will be stock vr4 and discs will be from a 4wd diamante - only difference in the discs is they have 5 holes for wheel studs not 4.

Cletus, I'm just wondering about legalities of certifying adjustable coilover suspension. Does it have to be able to go through its full range of motion and the car still be drivable at any height, because I've heard that the certifier will wind it down and if the vehicle isn't operable at this setting, it will not pass the cert.

Or, can the vehicle just be certified for the lowest setting that it can be driven safely at?

I want to put coilovers in and run them at the highest setting so that the spring will remain captive without keeper springs. Only problem is that if the coilover is wound right down it will result in not only a captive spring, but also a car thats sitting on the ground, undrivable (which is awesome, don't get me wrong, just not particularly legal).

If worse comes to worst I'm thinking of just tig'ing the lower spring retainer locking nut in place, so that the coilover cannot be adjusted lower the lowest setting I opt for. I guess this is something I should talk direct to the certifier about, but it would be good to know the ins and outs before going through the process because theres a bit of fab involved.

When I got my cert with adjusties they measured from centre of rim to top of gaurd and that was on the cert plate with +-5%. I had it wound down as low as I could while retaining the spring. He did make me wind it up slightly because the wheel just touched the gaurd on full lock.

He did also check travel but it was way inboard.

Gaz

When I got my cert with adjusties they measured from centre of rim to top of gaurd and that was on the cert plate with +-5%. I had it wound down as low as I could while retaining the spring. He did make me wind it up slightly because the wheel just touched the gaurd on full lock.

He did also check travel but it was way inboard.

Gaz

Cool cheers Gaz. And just to confirm what you're saying, you could wind it lower than you had it, but the spring would have become uncaptive and the cert guy was happy with that?

I just measured mine up and it will sit on its highest setting about where it is on bumpstops in its factory setting. Probably not ideal.. lol but super awesome.

Cletus, I'm just wondering about legalities of certifying adjustable coilover suspension. Does it have to be able to go through its full range of motion and the car still be drivable at any height, because I've heard that the certifier will wind it down and if the vehicle isn't operable at this setting, it will not pass the cert.

Or, can the vehicle just be certified for the lowest setting that it can be driven safely at?

car will be certed at a safe height- eg springs to be captive, have enough travel, no tyre rub etc. the +-5% is more to allow for susp being loaded or settling a bit- i personally dont think its a good idea, as people get the idea its ok to lower the car more after the cert, many cars are borderline and lowering another 10-15mm often results in the spring becoming uncaptive or tyres rubbing etc.

it says in the rules that the car must be safe to drive with the shocks at the fully firm setting- maybe this is where what you heard comes from with a bit of chinese whispers added. ive never heard of a certifier doing that except in the case of air bag systems- the car must be driveable if all the air gets out

Cool cheers Gaz. And just to confirm what you're saying, you could wind it lower than you had it, but the spring would have become uncaptive and the cert guy was happy with that?

I just measured mine up and it will sit on its highest setting about where it is on bumpstops in its factory setting. Probably not ideal.. lol but super awesome.

He would not cert it for lower becuase spring would become uncaptive. But to answer your question he didnt make me put some kind of weld or anything on it to stop me from driving out and winding it down lower.

In the rules somewhere there is a blurb about suspension travel. Think it has to have 2.5" travel each way from stationary. I cant fully emmebr tho.

Gaz