For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Clint,

I want to make some roll center adjusters.

Do they have to be made out of a certain grade of alloy to pass a cert?

Cheers

Material would have to be "fit for purpose" i dont think there is a specific requirement for any particular grade. Will check the bible tomorrow.

just looked it up, its 20mm bolt ons

I thought slip ons where illegal

edit:

B) be set screwed or attached by another secure method to the wheel or hub face

Tried to copy paste but won't let me

http://lvvta.co.nz/stdWheels&Tyres.pdf

page 16

DOUBLE EDIT: If it's a hub adapter, ie changes the stud pattern then its max 27mm. If its just a spacer bolt on then its 20mm. Or atleast that's what I get from the standards

are wheel spacers max width 27mm?

yes,sort of. wheel adaptors (bolt on to hub type with another set of studs in adaptor to secure wheel) are 27 max, wheel spacers (slip on type, original studs secure wheel) max is 20mm.

Oh crap. I know of a family member who rolls on wider (Bolt on) spacers than that with no cert............

Is 27mm still the max even if the spacers are fully hub centric? (Rim and hub)

I thought all spacers needed a cert. And that they don't allow slip on ones now..... what's the correct answer :lol:

So rolling any without a cert would be stupid really (flame away) why even bother with the cost of bolt on ones if you going to roll no cert anyway, just user washers. More than 27mm lol, buy some better suited wheels maybe?

Oh crap. I know of a family member who rolls on wider (Bolt on) spacers than that with no cert............

Is 27mm still the max even if the spacers are fully hub centric? (Rim and hub)

yep 27mm max. have seen a few sets of 30mm ones around. sometimes if theres enough meat in them they can be machined down to 27mm

saw some monster ones on a car ex japan that were probably 80mm

Hey clint, are you able to confirm what cheater has said re bolt on spacers?

Do all spacers require a cert? If not, what do/don't?

ALL spacers or adapters need cert.

Adaptors are easy- max 27 mm, must be located by either tapered seat wheel nuts, or locate on the hub spigot. properly made out of suitable materials etc etc.

Spacers (slip-on type) are trickier, usually have to be custom made.

max 20mm

Must be single stud pattern. ie not those multi fit 4/5 stud slotted hole ones

surfaces must be parallel and flat.

no holes other than the holes for the wheel studs and locating bolt

wheel must be supported by hub spigot not wheelstuds

spacer must be attached to the hub or wheel

wheelstuds still have to be long enough

made from suitable material etc

on that subject, I was thinking today,

If you aren't allowed to have removeable baffles so you can be a noisy cunt after getting a wof, how do people get on who have removable blank off plates for open dump pipes on cars used fo drag racing?

With regard to the Cat, Can I make the assumption that , say I've had a modified car for several years, it's had a modded exhaust with no cat and have never been asked for a cert as it's pretty much standard.

So if supposing someone decides one day that my power is a bit more than stock and I need a cert, I would need to refit the cat? which I no longer have?

Steve

Yes. If your car originally had a cat converter (which almost ALL Japanese import cars since the late 70s/early 80s did), and you require a cert then you will technically need to re-fit a suitable cat converter. However, until then, you don't need a cat converter to pass a WOF check. Seems silly I know.

NO.

all this emission stuff (at the moment anyway) only applies to vehicles with an engine swap. So if you have your original engine that is modified you dont have to worry about cats or emission tests.

Cheers for that.

So if I was to swap the block sometime in the future for it's "bigger brother" although 100% bolt in, the WOF man would know from the block stamping codes, that would be classed as an engine swap and I'd need a cat?

Steve

If you aren't allowed to have removeable baffles so you can be a noisy cunt after getting a wof, how do people get on who have removable blank off plates for open dump pipes on cars used fo drag racing?

This is what I meant in the other thread - if you run a car noisy as shit then don't be surprised if you get into trouble. Run whatever system you like so long as its not tooo noisy and exits outside the car behind the rearmost opening windows and you shouldn't have much problems.

This is what I meant in the other thread - if you run a car noisy as shit then don't be surprised if you get into trouble. Run whatever system you like so long as its not tooo noisy and exits outside the car behind the rearmost opening windows and you shouldn't have much problems.

true story , my car isnt amamzingly loud but i want it to whisper pretty much . but refuse to do zorst until det is ready .

on that note mr cletus ... my car910 bluebird has discs all round . its already got a ca18de which is what .. 130hp i think ... i want det at about 260 hp .

i presoanlly belive my brake are more then enough . that and i want to keep my 14's .

however is this a outright yes no question or a ring cert guy and have a yarn to him ??

In the NZ hobb by car technical manual, it has a table with cars weight, horsepower, and reccommended (or required?) brake sizes. If I wasn't so useless, Id go look it up, but I'm too tired tonight. If clint doesn't reply by tommorrow, I might go look it up for you.

on that note mr cletus ... my car910 bluebird has discs all round . its already got a ca18de which is what .. 130hp i think ... i want det at about 260 hp .

i presoanlly belive my brake are more then enough . that and i want to keep my 14's .

however is this a outright yes no question or a ring cert guy and have a yarn to him ??

It's a talk to the cert guy question - my flatmates cruiser with the LS2 has factory cruiser brakes and it wasn't an issue. Although they probably treat 4x4's a little different.

That said, there would have been a factory turbo 910 Im sure - whether it was CA18det or Z18ET or whatever. if your brakes are at least as good as that it should probably be ok.

It's a talk to the cert guy question - my flatmates cruiser with the LS2 has factory cruiser brakes and it wasn't an issue. Although they probably treat 4x4's a little different.

That said, there would have been a factory turbo 910 Im sure - whether it was CA18det or Z18ET or whatever. if your brakes are at least as good as that it should probably be ok.

yea they do but they come out with 130hp in turbo form (z18et) , if a remember correctly , so 260 is a bit of a jump haha . might have to ask cert dude down here

yea they do but they come out with 130hp in turbo form (z18et) , if a remember correctly , so 260 is a bit of a jump haha . might have to ask cert dude down here

righto

there isnt a requirement to upgrade brakes, but it must pass the brake fade test. in your case with that much increase in power, it would have to do 5 100-0kph stops under 4.4 sec in a total time of 3 minutes. in my experience, if you havnt increased the weight or rim size a lot, use the best pads you can afford, discs in good condition and fresh brake fluid, most japanese cars can pass the test with the standard brakes.

• Like 1

righto

there isnt a requirement to upgrade brakes, but it must pass the brake fade test. in your case with that much increase in power, it would have to do 5 100-0kph stops under 4.4 sec in a total time of 3 minutes. in my experience, if you havnt increased the weight or rim size a lot, use the best pads you can afford, discs in good condition and fresh brake fluid, most japanese cars can pass the test with the standard brakes.

choice bud so that the standard test? . thanks for info .

no wonder severly underbraked cars get certs in nz haha

So if I was to swap the block sometime in the future for it's "bigger brother" although 100% bolt in, the WOF man would know from the block stamping codes, that would be classed as an engine swap and I'd need a cat?

Steve

yes would need a cert, and to pass cert would require a cat. if the car+ engine had one originally.