For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a retarded requirement though, your current crossmember could be dented when you're replacing your broken auto/manual box for a good one and the fact you went and got another one, even though it's OE and identical you need cert. :?

I have a Hilux diff in my car, installed as a ladder bar setup and certified as such. I can't remember fully what it says on the cert plate, but I'm most certain that it doesn't note the way in which the diff is mounted.

I want to swap to a four-link setup. Legally, I'm pretty sure that I will have to re-cert this, but I'm pretty sure that I could get away without doing this as the cert plate will still be stating exactly what is in the car, a hilux diff.

So, if I have this done by a reputable place who is trust worthy and have had exactly the same process certed before, should I bother have it re-certed?

I have a Hilux diff in my car, installed as a ladder bar setup and certified as such. I can't remember fully what it says on the cert plate, but I'm most certain that it doesn't note the way in which the diff is mounted.

I want to swap to a four-link setup. Legally, I'm pretty sure that I will have to re-cert this, but I'm pretty sure that I could get away without doing this as the cert plate will still be stating exactly what is in the car, a hilux diff.

So, if I have this done by a reputable place who is trust worthy and have had exactly the same process certed before, should I bother have it re-certed?

Up to you.........

Officially speaking, it should be re certified and really the plate should have "custom ladder bar/4 bar rear suspension" on it if that has changed from what it was originally. quite often the plate doesnt have everything on it due to lack of room but it should have major changes like suspension configuration on it

hi. I got a 200sx with ca18det,

i converted it from auto to manual,

everything was bolt on from wrecked manual car

looking at selling it, a guy came to have a look and said i needed to cert it

thought this wasnt the case, but do i have to cert it for conversion.

Ta.

if you used all parts from a manual car and it all fits as per factory then you shouldnt need a cert for a gearbox swap.

if you can prove it then you shouldnt need one. as of may 1 any car being certed for an engine swap has to have a cat fitted IF the engine being fitted AND the car originally had one.

Ok so in saying that, my 1982 Toyota Mark 2 with a 2jzgte wont need a CAT because my car never had 1 with the orginal engine?

if your car wasnt originally fitted with a cat, no. You sure it wasnt? i thought JDM cars would have had them then...... nz spec wouldnt, nobody cared about the dolphins and polar bears then.....

Awesome thread, is great your helping people out.

I have chopped a large section out of my firewall to accommodate an engine swap, is there an guide lines with re welding in some new steel in there?

The chassis tag happened be in the way, would you be happy for me to weld it back into the firewall at a different point as old position is no longer available.

I still need to build my exhaust, is any catalytic converter suitable?

oh sweet thanks for that man, where abouts in auckland do you do certs? which shop?

all over auckland. Cert inspection has to be done at an "approved site" basically anywhere that does wofs. i have 2 shops i do most of my work at, one in takanini and one in kelston. Can come to you if you want to do it at your local garage/workshop if they are happy for us to use thier hoist etc...

Awesome thread, is great your helping people out.

I have chopped a large section out of my firewall to accommodate an engine swap, is there an guide lines with re welding in some new steel in there?

The chassis tag happened be in the way, would you be happy for me to weld it back into the firewall at a different point as old position is no longer available.

I still need to build my exhaust, is any catalytic converter suitable?

was working backwards to your one then it pops up again lol

basic rule of thumb is cant be weaker/less safe than original. eg, any strengthening ribs or braces should be duplicated or refitted, should use similar thickness materials etc........its a bit hard to describe how to do it over the internets. With more involved modifications like this its best to get your local certifier involved early on so they can tell you what they want you to do, as a lot of this sort of stuff can vary a bit depending on the certifier.

as for the cat, requirements are on page 7 of this

http://lvvta.org.nz/stdExhaustGasEmissions.pdf

With regard to the Cat, Can I make the assumption that , say I've had a modified car for several years, it's had a modded exhaust with no cat and have never been asked for a cert as it's pretty much standard, with original...ish motor.

So if supposing someone decides one day that my power is a bit more than stock and I need a cert, I would need to refit the cat? which I no longer have?

So maybe an exemption if it's primarily used for motorsport? That's about it.

So every time you go for a WOF in the future, you'll need to have your cat checked to make sure that it actually works?

Unless it appears stock and you don't have a cert?

Or will all cars be checked regardless?

Steve

With regard to the Cat, Can I make the assumption that , say I've had a modified car for several years, it's had a modded exhaust with no cat and have never been asked for a cert as it's pretty much standard.

So if supposing someone decides one day that my power is a bit more than stock and I need a cert, I would need to refit the cat? which I no longer have?

Steve

Yes. If your car originally had a cat converter (which almost ALL Japanese import cars since the late 70s/early 80s did), and you require a cert then you will technically need to re-fit a suitable cat converter. However, until then, you don't need a cat converter to pass a WOF check. Seems silly I know.

if you can prove it then you shouldnt need one. as of may 1 any car being certed for an engine swap has to have a cat fitted IF the engine being fitted AND the car originally had one.

Ok so in saying that, my 1982 Toyota Mark 2 with a 2jzgte wont need a CAT because my car never had 1 with the orginal engine?

Mate your 1G-EU would have had a cat converter to begin with. My one sure did anyhow. The U in 1G-EU means emissions spec, so it goes without saying that they would have had a cat converter fitted. The NZ-new GX61 Cressida just had a 1G-E engine with no cat converter as they were meant to run on '96 Super' fuel which was leaded at the time. And your 2JZ-GTE would have had a cat converter from factory too. So with both having cats, yours would need a cat.

I don't think you will find any mass production Japanese import car since the late 70s which doesn't have a cat. And certifiers/WOF people know this. Japan for a long time has been running unleaded fuel, NZ was one of the last countries to have leaded fuel and NZ-new cars designed to run on premium fuel being sold right up until about 1996ish still had no cats or O2 sensors.

I'm in the same boat as you Ryan. I will swap in a cat for the cert, then swap it out when I go for my ONT, which hopefully no one will pick up on.

Actually, question for Cletus:

My original Cat used an ECU controlled Air pump to pump air into it at low RPM to help with emissions. Since I have ditched the factory ECU & Airpump can I replace the factory cat with a basic aftermarket cat? Or do I have to use a factory equivilant and put the air pump back on?