Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do decide on HRB conversion a couple of things..

Make sure you can make a decent surface on the box to mount it.

If you don't feel like paying a billion dollars for a Tilton or whatnot then you could consider a saab bearing.

Https://www.ebay.com/itm/223024786078

but check your release bearing contact to clutch fingers as converting the bearing is a bit of a ballache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

consider a saab bearing.

I used a ford mundano unit and had to machine a steel extension, larger diameter, that's just a push fit into the existing bearing face. Existing bearing was flat faced. Extension has a convex surface so the clutch fingers 'roll' as they go through the motion inwards.

20220104_175801 (Custom).jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dearest Davide,

I know your reasoning for using the J160, but am I correct in saying that the 4GR shares its bell housing pattern with the 1GR and as such would allow the use of a V6 Hilux bell housing and box in a MarkX??

Regards,

Jesse

Yes there are some factory manual Mark X / IS250, and they use the hilux gearbox/dual mass / etc. 

However it's all massively heavy, big, and shifts like crap apparently. 

If I were to guess, it would weigh somewhere around 5 million kg more than a J160. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Yes there are some factory manual Mark X / IS250, and they use the hilux gearbox/dual mass / etc. 

Don't they use that fancy later model 6 speed??

edit... yeah... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lexus-toyota-RA62-manual-gearbox-/264496988179?nma=true&si=PBCXCu%2FO8RQ%2BJZVJvhWphpT%2BRx4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I went down the rabbit hole on them once and they are an aisin AY6 (as opposed to an AZ6/J160) 

They are the same box as in a manwel VE SV6 if anyones driven that to compare, its apparently supposed to handle a reasonable amount of torque. I dont understand fully yet but it says it handles more torque through a different input/output shaft configuration which means it spins the gears faster, so I am guessing might be happy on a lower revving torquey motor but might not like higher rpm situations - speculation only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I missed that whole exhaust thing and the “gearboxing” at the time. Just wasted 10 minutes catching up. “Wayno is a total dicko” is my conclusion and eventually got what he deserved.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the gearbox scrapyard mission looked very familiar (though these days I’m too old and grumpy to play in the rain).

The bellhousing shenanigans also look familiar.  I’ve done two conversions to get modernish Jap gearboxes onto Triumph engines. Most recently this

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8925-mazda-gearboxes-some-bstard-told-me-it-was-impossible-so-i-had-to-do-it/#comments

This also used an auto box bellhousing because it had a nice concentric recess and ring of bolts to work with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i also have half baked cad files for a parametric barrel throttle i started to design. its something i would like to get back to as they are super sick. project stalled as i dont have a car that wants them. 

is there any reason why you would be injecting fuel upstream of the throttle? i cant figure out why fuel would pool on the barrel at all?

• Like 1

A mate told me that's what happened when he ran barrel throttles. Horrible rich on transients if you've been cruising along at part throttle for a while.
As you've got two pinch points for where it is restricting airflow, with the partially open barrel area in the middle. Compared to normal throttle plate where you just have ahead or behind the plate.
So its something like you get a differing amount of vacuum (or airspeed or whatever) in the barrel than either ahead of behind it, so fuel vapour even from port injection ends up condensing in there.
(I'm assuming they were mounted quite close to the head in that case) 

In my case this motor has exceptionally long ports, and I want to get both the barrel assembly as close to the flange as possible, and the injector as close as possible too. 
In a more ideal situation I'd probably cut down the super long port dividers and mount an injector closer to the valves. As this is all geometry not designed for port injection at all.

oh yes i see, fuel vapour collecting due to reversion. i wonder if you could fix that with cam spec changes and/or vvti fiddling if available.

going fully insane, double barrels may also fix that problem. (while also bringing several other, much worse problems). the flow increase for a barrel over a butterfly is so massive its a worthy avenue to explore.

Technology | JSR-engineering
pic for others, im certain you've probably made your own charts before :P 

• Like 3