Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

Nah, I think I punished him enough with non 4AGE related work already. 

Apparently he stays up late at night washing his hands, still trying to get the stink of 1NZ off them...

For now it'll just be the factory manifolds and then try do the rest of the exhaust nicely-ish to suit end goals. Then flanges to suit putting some nicer manifolds on as things progress.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Roman said:

Nah, I think I punished him enough with non 4AGE related work already. 

Apparently he stays up late at night washing his hands, still trying to get the stink of 1NZ off them...

For now it'll just be the factory manifolds and then try do the rest of the exhaust nicely-ish to suit end goals. Then flanges to suit putting some nicer manifolds on as things progress.

What was the 4age successor? (According to Wiki it was the 3zz, then 1ZR) so guess 1NZ isn't close enough haha

Thinking Single or dual exhaust? 

Thoughts on sizing, 3" is always the answer if single right?

Yeah will probably merge into a single 3" pipe to back of the car.

Probably better to go even bigger, or have separate pipes for each bank all the way to back of the car. 
But it sounds better if you merge them.

Also it gets a lot harder trying to have some decent mufflers under the car once the pipes start getting bigger.

25 minutes ago, Roman said:

Yeah will probably merge into a single 3" pipe to back of the car.

Probably better to go even bigger, or have separate pipes for each bank all the way to back of the car. 
But it sounds better if you merge them.

Also it gets a lot harder trying to have some decent mufflers under the car once the pipes start getting bigger.

No space for 3.5" then, considered Oval exhaust :p

Keen to see what you come up with :0

• Like 1

Have you tired changing the edge they trigger on? 

Does the toyota setup use a 5v supply?       The cherry/zf sensors say they will run off 5v, but they case the odd trigger errot on link, when run on 5v?
Are the sensors for the vvti?    its not seeing them in the f12 menu?

Yeah so the trigger code for the 2gr lets it run as wasted spark / batch fire until it gets a cam trigger signal.

So originally i had timing 360 deg out, then it would work as wasted spark but then cut out when it found trigger 2. Ha.

Yeah so there are 4x cam angle sensors for vvti, one gets connected as trigger 2 then the other 3 to DIs.

According to some old posts on the link forum the trigger decoding only works if set to falling edge. As otherwise the timing of crank vs cam overlaps in a weird way for vvti range. 

Will do some checks with a multimeter tomorrow.

• Like 2