Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was like "Why the hell would you go to all of that effort to end up with a weird liveaxle/non liveaxle thing instead of proper IRS"

But then realised it had a whole heap of scope for adjustment on all of the suspension links to adjust roll centre, traction from link angles etc that you probably couldnt do with a mac strut or whatever.

I dunno, maybe it was still a well engineered stupid idea. But it was definitely something unusual that caught my eye.

I know I have seen this setup on TV before- there was a race (I'm sure it was to do with Bathurst) and the undercar cam showed it in operation- I think they said it was as far as they could take that axle setup to stay within class rules.

Driving me nuts because I can't find more on it.

If you dry sumped it, could you lie a rotary engine over on its side? 

Seems like a good idea to have the inny/outy parts on the top of the engine rather than crammed around a steering column.

Something interesting about driving with a live axle that I've noticed over the last while.

I start going into a corner and the car will roll a bit.

But then as roll increases I think the shock on the inside reaches its limit of travel and you can feel it start to pull the diff up off the ground.

Something like this

gdcdufrc.dgn.jpg

It feels like the cars rear roll centre is at the centre of the car to start with, then moves to the outside wheel once the inside wheel starts getting pulled up off the ground.

But it's two very noticeable characteristics before the car will lift and inside wheel or start oversteering. You can feel when the car gets to that "wheel lift" point (and try keep the car below that point) well before its lost traction or anything like that.

IRS is for quitters

Do you have a rear sway bar?

So the wife's caldina I'm fixing has a POS exhaaust manifold with integrated cats, yuck. The Celica that ran the same engine (3sge beams) has nicer headers and I just so happen to have one of these engines on a stand for another purpose. 

The shitty cat headers have an O2 sensor in the crossover, where I think the celica has the O2 sensor further down the system (its not on the headers themselves anyway). 

My question is: part 1,  what impact is not running an O2 sensor likely to have day to day? - car is otherwise standard

Part 2 is if i were to put the sensor in, would within one of the 4 extractors be a suitable position?

No sensor = constant engine check light.

On the caldina you may get away with no cat, but most cars use the 2nd sensor to determine cat efficiency and will again bring up the MIL if the cat ain't doing its job / ain't there

Also 02 sensors are incredibly important, if you removed it it would just max out the fuel trim and run rich all the time. Potentially up to 11:1 AFR and use all the petrols... Pretty much anything from 1990 onwards actually use their 02 sensors alot for idle and light to mid throttle driving...