Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

If you spend like $150 on a decent controller you can just use a normal thermistor (the gauge one) and set the fans up to come on/off at any range. I have found using switches can be hit and miss as every application is different.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an st215 caldina. It has the plate you bolt to the strut tower and is fastened to the threaded strut. This holds down a plate/hat below it thats on top of the spring. Its this plate/hat thats eccentric to the strut hole.

I might need to grab a pic to explain

That is just to make more room for wheels. Won't affect camber/caster.

Is the bottom spring seat offset too?

Just match them up.

Usually towards the centre?

If you spend like $150 on a decent controller you can just use a normal thermistor (the gauge one) and set the fans up to come on/off at any range. I have found using switches can be hit and miss as every application is different.

I had considered this, but then I found my rear tyres are going to be like, $250 to $300 beans. So would rather go for the cross my fingures 40 dollar option haha

• Like 1

door frames and seals - 

'64 coon leaks like the sieve that it is. front door window frames are bent outward and seals are barely contacting the body around the window frames..

anyone successfully bent window frames back inward before? how'd ya do it?

I'm worried I'll break something.

That is just to make more room for wheels. Won't affect camber/caster.

Is the bottom spring seat offset too?

Just match them up.

Usually towards the centre?

yep pretty sure bottom is eccentric too, i never got a pic, will do over weekend, i see what you are saying though, it will just change the spring's eccentricity with the strut, and its the strut which is the linkage

Yea Manu just bend it in, have done this a few time times. Are the seals new though? no point bending it in for old seals.

Check general door alignment first though, if they have been off there's a high chance they are on crooked and exaggerating the problem. Or not.

Are the frames 1 piece with the door?

If so take alot of points of reference measurements

Bending

You probably know what a bicycle frame bending tool looks like?

Use something like that to tweek it, easy as. Can make one from a 2x4 and shape it to fit the door so it doesn't damage anything

Something interesting about driving with a live axle that I've noticed over the last while.

I start going into a corner and the car will roll a bit.

But then as roll increases I think the shock on the inside reaches its limit of travel and you can feel it start to pull the diff up off the ground.
Something like this

gdcdufrc.dgn.jpg

It feels like the cars rear roll centre is at the centre of the car to start with, then moves to the outside wheel once the inside wheel starts getting pulled up off the ground. 

But it's two very noticeable characteristics before the car will lift and inside wheel or start oversteering. You can feel when the car gets to that "wheel lift" point (and try keep the car below that point) well before its lost traction or anything like that.

IRS is for quitters 

• Like 2

Yeah the factory IRS isnt toooooo amazing in these cars.

It would be nice to be able to adjust rear camber to keep tire temps even at trackdays though. 

But it comes with a whole other set of foibles due to lots of toe change through suspension travel etc.

Although its less unsprung weight, it's heavier overall compared to live axle.

There's a really interesting race car that I saw in NZPC ages ago, it was like a modern Mazda 6 or something converted to RWD.

It had a solid beam rear end with a watts linkage, but the diff head was mounted to the body and it had CVs on the driveshafts which lead to the hubs mounted to the solid beam.

It was like a live axle setup but with none of the unsprung weight of the diff head.

• Like 2

At first I was like "Why the hell would you go to all of that effort to end up with a weird liveaxle/non liveaxle thing instead of proper IRS"

But then realised it had a whole heap of scope for adjustment on all of the suspension links to adjust roll centre, traction from link angles etc that you probably couldnt do with a mac strut or whatever.

I dunno, maybe it was still a well engineered stupid idea. But it was definitely something unusual that caught my eye.

• Like 1