Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Any markets in your locale? Often see those sorts of tools / dollies floating around in amongst the rusty as fuck tools. Most of my hammers / dollies are old and well used. Not by me though, I just store them.... slack.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks sweet, most cheap hammers are fine just keep them polished up and rust free. 

If I can I 99% go to my slap file for dents, takes like 20 hours but you can progressively watch the dent flatten out much easier when than with a hammer (great for noobs).

I have one of these cheap sets below, its sweet. Plus two slap files and a dolly with a long handle. Most panels get dents in the middle and you can't reach the back properly so the spoon type dolly becomes your number one tool.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/auto-and-mechanics-tools/panel-beating/force-7pc-body-repair-kit-in-bmc-panel-beating-dolly

• 3 weeks later...

What's the deal with fibreglass as an insulator?

As in, I realise it's a good insulator when it's 'fluff' like pink batts.

But I'm guessing that's because of the air gaps...

When it's in Resin or epoxy for panels or whatever, is it actually still an effective insulator?

Or is it only as good as the insulation properties of the resin or expoxy.

for heat as pink batts etc. it is mostly trapping air, and trapped air is a great insulator because the molecules are far apart (i.e. most gasses that are kept relatively stagnant)

on its own (solid fibreglass and resin) it's ok but nowhere near as effective. better than metals because there is no ordered crystalline structure as such (on a macro level) but an order of magnitude less because everything is a solid and right next to eachother to pass the heat along to the next guy.

trying to remember how electrical stuff works, i think because the glass or epoxy are molecules where the atoms are stuck to eachother by the bussiness with sharing electrons etc. and the because long chains in a mess the electrons are not very free to jump around as they are in an ordered crystalline metallic material where they are stuck together because of +/- charge at different ends of the shape of individual atoms or smaller molecules?

could be wrong on that but I don't have time to open a book or wiki it so that will do

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone used an Ali Express fuel pressure reg?

The ones on trademe for like 70-100bux look EXACTLY like a 20 dollar one from aliexpress.

Risk it? or get a propper Tomei one or something.

Cos yea, even the expensive (>$100) on trademe still look like ali express specials. Its only the $200 ones that seem legit.

And i don't want to be an ignit fool who pays 5 times the price for the same product....