Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi gang,

i have an '89 hilux with a 3Y that had some head work done by previous owner. i know the guys who did the work so no major question marks there.

it has a leaky dizzy seal i know i need to sort.

it also has a nice ticky tick on startup that eventually fades, a lifter or similar i presume?

i am inexperienced in these these thus far, what do i do, and is it cause for concern given a 700ish km round trip for hawkes boes later this month?

These things are kinda just a big k-series, super agricultural and generally just keep going. They come in hydraulic and solid lifters I am fairly certain, so if its hydraulic you need to probably clean/replace them and if its solid you just need to set valve clearances.

hi gang,

i have an '89 hilux with a 3Y that had some head work done by previous owner. i know the guys who did the work so no major question marks there.

it has a leaky dizzy seal i know i need to sort.

it also has a nice ticky tick on startup that eventually fades, a lifter or similar i presume?

i am inexperienced in these these thus far, what do i do, and is it cause for concern given a 700ish km round trip for hawkes boes later this month?

my mate forgot to put oil in his for ages then we drove in it from taupo to managkion one day and it was ticking sooooo soooo bad. get back to taupo and check oil

no oil

oh lols

put oil in got alot better.

then he sprayed a whole can of degreaser in the rocker cover and wrung its neck real good, changed the oil.

was munt after that.

might have repeated the whole scenario a couple of times after that then sold it to some numpty at about 400,000km

may have been a 4y

y oh y etc.

• Like 2

Has anyone here attempted to retrofit a later model Nissan igniter ('90s PRW2 style) to an earlier Nissan engine running the button-style Hitachi igniter? Or sort of knows what they are doing when it comes to this sort of thing?

Found some pinouts for both setups, but it doesn't appear to be a 1 to 1 retrofit scenario.

I had hoped it would be similar to adapting COPs to a MX-5 but nope, not even close.

Random question for the day, when I push on the brake pedal it seems to be sending a spike through the vans electrics and will occasionally cause the stereo to trip and turn off and restart and you can see the headlights (when they are on) and dash lights flicker/surge whne you push the pedal (i suspect its when the brake light switch is triggered). Before starting on a wild goose hunt, any ideas on what could be causing this? 

Cheers

Random question for the day, when I push on the brake pedal it seems to be sending a spike through the vans electrics and will occasionally cause the stereo to trip and turn off and restart and you can see the headlights (when they are on) and dash lights flicker/surge whne you push the pedal (i suspect its when the brake light switch is triggered). Before starting on a wild goose hunt, any ideas on what could be causing this? 

Cheers

Your stereo earth?

I wired up a half assed attempt with the mrs car stereo and first time we had to touch the brake pedal is tripped the stereo and dash lights went crazy. Was just bad wiring on my behalf and a better earth solved it all.

Pretty sure that was the solution...